Chicken pen/run floor

Can you take a pic from the east side showing the coop and how it meets the run?

Will that tarp roof hold up to snow load, pic of supports under tarp?
How does the water run off of it onto the coop?
The canopy over the pen is unfortunately canvas. We will add a heavy, vinyl tarp to the top for the winter, overlapping the coop. Actually, I think it would be a good idea, even before winter. The supports underneath are very strong, but if we get deep snow, I will brush the snow down. Today, we added a drip edge to the coop, where it meets the pen. DH also added a rubber compound along all the seams of the drip edge and around all the joins of the coop. He also added L-flashing over the doors to repel the runoff. I added roofing silicone to all the gaping crevices and door weather stripping around the doors. I still need to add some to the nesting box doors. This kit requires a lot of modifications.

Attachments

• received_269029831698827.jpeg
    received_269029831698827.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 6
  • received_488862902477474.jpeg
    received_488862902477474.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 6
  • received_524220112235416.jpeg
    received_524220112235416.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 6
I am in SE Michigan (garden zone 6).
Stop by the Michigan thread and say hi!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome.697050/page-5030

For the roof of my run last winter, I used heavy duty tarps from TSC, the black/silver ones. For support, they were over chicken wire over the metal tube frame from a green house. I broomed off the snow when it fell, and never had any issues with weight. Though last year was a light snow winter...

Does it shed water?
Framing looks good for snow load.
If you add a tarp for winter, I'd get one big enough to cover the coop too.
It does shed water, but canvas doesn't weather well. I think the extra tarp will be necessary.Yes, will definitely get one large enough to cover the coop, too. We have a giant tarp we wrap our gazebo in. DH bought it on Amazon. It's super strong.

So.... about the bedding... what would be best for this shallow-floored coop? And the run?

Stop by the Michigan thread and say hi!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/michigan-thread-all-are-welcome.697050/page-5030

For the roof of my run last winter, I used heavy duty tarps from TSC, the black/silver ones. For support, they were over chicken wire over the metal tube frame from a green house. I broomed off the snow when it fell, and never had any issues with weight. Though last year was a light snow winter...
Ok, will do! Are you a Michiganian, too?
Thank you, I bought the coop from TSC, so I have some store credit accrued. Maybe I'll take a look!

Back
Top Bottom