Chicken per Rooster

MG4223

Hatching
May 14, 2015
I have 3 Chickens and 1 Rooster and one of the chickens has lost more feathers gone at base of wings (More then expected for molting) could this be from the Rooster, if so is 3 chickens not enough for 1 rooster, and should I be thinking anything else.

I have 3 Chickens and 1 Rooster and one of the chickens has lost more feathers gone at base of wings (More then expected for molting) could this be from the Rooster, if so is 3 chickens not enough for 1 rooster, and should I be thinking anything else.

A good rule for a maximum amount is one roo for ten hens and minimum is one five hens for on roo. If they dont have enough hens the others get over bred.

I have 3 Chickens and 1 Rooster and one of the chickens has lost more feathers gone at base of wings (More then expected for molting) could this be from the Rooster, if so is 3 chickens not enough for 1 rooster, and should I be thinking anything else.

Welcome to BYC. For clarity's sake, do you have four chickens total with three of them being hens and one being a rooster - or is it three chickens total with one of them being a rooster? Both genders are chickens.
Rooster damage may certainly be the cause of the feather loss you are seeing. There is no magic number of hens per rooster, but 3 to 1 is considered pretty low, especially if damage is occurring. Some roosters can be with a few birds and do no damage, others may be with a large number of hens and still manage to make them look awful.
If you have inspected for and ruled out external parasites and feather picking, chances are it is rooster damage. A "hen saddle" will offer the poor girl some protection and a chance to regrow her feathering.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You either need to get rid of your rooster or else get more hens. As holm25 indicated, the recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many rooster (or in your case too few hens) will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs (as your experiencing), over-breeding them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. I currently have 25 hens and no roosters in my flock, and I get loads of eggs without all the aggression, fights, biting and feather plucking, crowing in the middle of the night, feeding of non-productive mouths, drop off in egg production, and over-breeding and battering of hens that goes along with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free and enjoying life without a rooster around. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens :welcome One rooster to three hens is a pretty low ratio, for my flock eight to ten hens per rooster is ideal, but even then some hens will show slight damage. You can also but hen saddles of you feel that they are needed. Just ask if you have any other questions :)

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

The other members have given you great advice. You should only keep one rooster for every ten hens you keep.

If you don't need fertile eggs for hatching or sale, hens are a lot happier without a rooster harassing them. They will continue to lay eggs just not fertile ones.

Back
Top Bottom