Chicken Pics!!!

This is my chick SweetiePie, she's like yours YardBird :) SweetiePie loves to sit on my shoulder and arm

As our girls got older, one of them began to crow . . . but not until "she" was 8 1/2 mo. old! Yup, Velda was really Vinnie. As we live in the city this was a problem. We gave him to a lady who lives in the country. He now has a large harem all to himself. He was a cool Roo though. I kinda miss him (except for the noise, lol).

On your left is my Wyandotte, Gertrude. She lays a nice medium-tan egg. She is the bully of the group. She has no patience for the other girls not respecting her authority, lol. She also picks on the outcast of my group.

Gertrude and Agnes waiting to mug me for the mealworms they know I have. I'm convinced Gertrude is the ring leader. "OK, Agnes. You trip her up. I'll nab the worms. Of course I'll share *cough*"

Front to back: Gertrude stepping out, What's up Edna butt?, and hey, Vinnie (before the gig was up).

Agnes and Edna gossiping around the water cooler. Agnes, on your left, is my sweet-natured little EE who lays huge lt olive colored eggs. She will let my little outcast, Ethel, hang with her when the other two pick on her. She gets along well with the whole little flock.

Edna, on the right. Is a RIR. Her eggs are large. She won't eat from my hand like the others. She doesn't trust me. She is an adventurer and loves to explore. She is Gertrude's minion. If she see's Gertrude pick on Ethel, she will make a point to go right over and do the same.

Are you ready? To whip your hair? I whip my hair back and forth ... whip it real good - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U (lyric source). Haha, I just like the way I caught Agnes shaking her head.

This is Ethel, my other RIR. She is the outcast. It's a shame, because she is docile and loves to come get a treat, but gets chased away a lot. It it weren't for Agnes letting her hang sometimes, she'd spend her days alone :-(.

I have had fun with the joys and challenges of my little flock. I love owning chickens so much I will be adding a few Marans in the spring. (After we expand the run for when I can't let them out. That will be the max amount in my smaller, city yard.

NOTE: Since I was talked to about attributing human characteristics and rationality to my chickens somewhere else, please note that I use such terms like "bully" "ring leader" and such in attempt to be humorous in many instances. Occasionally I will describe a chicken as being "picked on" or "thinking" not because I am giving them human emotions/characteristics, but that I am trying to describe something I don't have the chicken terminology for.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of my group. The ee's are 16 weeks old and turns out one is a roo. He hasn't started to crow yet. He's my most friendly bird and I'm going to miss him. I'd like to relocate him, but no one wants a roo.

the ee's are the youngest along with a blue laced red wyandotte then the barred rock and brahmas

the golden wyandottes are the oldest at 20 weeks we had sleet/snow overnight on the 28th

Back
Top Bottom