Chicken plans

First off, good luck lol! Chicken math is real! It becomes an addiction after a while. :lol: I started as a small flock owner years ago, today I am proudly part of the OCD community. Obsessive Chicken Disorder.:lau

Just double checking, you know they can live much longer than 1-2 years right? Healthy chickens with a good setup, good biosecurity, and an educated owner, can have chickens up to 13 years old. Chickens can live a long time if cared for properly.

Also, for anyone building a coop, you should know these requirements. Note these are basic requirements, and I highly recommend you make the coop and run larger than necessary. Doubling the amount of space even. Then if you ever get more you will have plenty of space.

These requirements are per bird-
4sq. ft in the coop
10sq. ft in the run
1ft of roost space
AT LEAST more is better 1sq. ft of ventilation per bird.
1/4 nest box per bird.
Going to add that these are not steadfast rules. They work for most, but with the right bird, these numbers are flexible to a degree. And sometimes you need even larger numbers per bird if you've got some with foul temperaments

Just double checking, you know they can live much longer than 1-2 years right? Healthy chickens with a good setup, good biosecurity, and an educated owner, can have chickens up to 13 years old. Chickens can live a long time if cared for properly.
Yes I was saying they are ONLY 1-2years old so hopefully they love alot longer because they are still young

First off, good luck lol! Chicken math is real! It becomes an addiction after a while. :lol: I started as a small flock owner years ago, today I am proudly part of the OCD community. Obsessive Chicken Disorder.:lau
Lol me too! :clap A little more room has been freed up so I will be able to get a couple more then intended. See I knew I wouldn't be able to stay with 4-5 more lol

we have 2 homemade exterior coops that I have some changes to make on now that we’ve been using them for a while. the first one needs a different style of run built (there’s no way way to access the run currently and I hate that) and it needs the roosts modified. the 2nd has a superior run but I would like to change the nesting area and it needs painted.

then I have 3 breeding pens to pick the birds for. 2 of the groups are fast approaching point of lay and the other is a few months away still, so I have more time to pick my desired egg colour crosses. the younger group is for a hybrid meat bird, so I think I’ll be picking the ones to keep based on growth.

there’s always a to do list! I’ve promised my partner that this is it for coops though, so hopefully once I make a couple adjustments to the exterior ones we’ll be done barnyard projects for now.. until I decide I can’t live without ducks any longer haha

Going to add that these are not steadfast rules. They work for most, but with the right bird, these numbers are flexible to a degree. And sometimes you need even larger numbers per bird if you've got some with foul temperaments
This ^^^

These are simply guidelines, not ever set in stone. Thats why I recommend you make your setup double the size you need for the 5 you are soon to have. That way you have room for chicken math, separation, birds that are integrating or don't get along too well, etc.

This ^^^

These are simply guidelines, not ever set in stone. Thats why I recommend you make your setup double the size you need for the 5 you are soon to have. That way you have room for chicken math, separation, birds that are integrating or don't get along too well, etc.
This is an understatement! Having a safe secure place for an emergency if a chicken needs to be isolated for any reason; is paramount. It saves time money and energy that will be needed for whatever situation arises where u need the space. My chicken must have twisted her ankle or whatever and fortunately I had a small dog crate i was able to set up in the run with plenty of room for the others to go about their business. My big thing is not disrupting the flock harmony and causing stress, so i kept her in the run with the others and felt this was an important part of her healing. I'm pleased I had that choice, but would rather fill the space with more chickens!!! Although, a solo indoor chicken does ok with a mirror. 🐓❤️

This is an understatement! Having a safe secure place for an emergency if a chicken needs to be isolated for any reason; is paramount. It saves time money and energy that will be needed for whatever situation arises where u need the space. My chicken must have twisted her ankle or whatever and fortunately I had a small dog crate i was able to set up in the run with plenty of room for the others to go about their business. My big thing is not disrupting the flock harmony and causing stress, so i kept her in the run with the others and felt this was an important part of her healing. I'm pleased I had that choice, but would rather fill the space with more chickens!!! Although, a solo indoor chicken does ok with a mirror. 🐓❤️
I have a dog crate and two coop and small runs attached to a bigger run when everyone is good and healthy I let them have the whole thing but if someone is sick integrating injured or not getting along I lock them in one of the separate coop and run things

Back
Top Bottom