Chicken plops down too much..?

Jun 27, 2019
I have 5 GLW's all about 3 months old. Blanche, my biggest girl, has all of a sudden developed a hard time standing in one place for more than 30 seconds and kind of walks a little wobbly. My biggest concern is that she plops down every few minutes. I've been monitoring her all morning (noticed this last night just before dark) and she still walks and runs occassionally, I also saw her jump/"fly" a few times. But she will kind of fall back on her hind legs and then plop down when standing in one spot. Her fingers will sometimes be curled up while this happens too, but not every time. And she doesn't seem to be able to balance on one leg. She also will go lay down in shade or coop while the others free-roam. She will then go join the others after a few minutes of laying down. I offered them treats, corn and zucchini. I do give them too many treats like this, I know now to limit that. Blanche did eat a little but she didn't come running at first sight of treats and I don't think she ate as much as the others. The other's don't seem to notice, I don't see any bullying signs so far. PS: all the other chickens are fine and show no such symptoms. Any suggestions on what I should do to help her? Or even on what this could be caused by? Thank you!

She's weak/ sick, and needs checking out.
Go out to the coop TONIGHT with a flashlight and check everyone carefully for mites or lice; that's the simplest and easiest to fix problem. Part their feathers and check around the vent, neck, and under wings. Mites especially are TINY little moving specks.
Then, check her for any other issues around her vent, especially for maggots. :sick It's obvious, and has a terrible odor. :sick:sick
Is her belly hard or swollen?
Mary

She's weak/ sick, and needs checking out.
Go out to the coop TONIGHT with a flashlight and check everyone carefully for mites or lice; that's the simplest and easiest to fix problem. Part their feathers and check around the vent, neck, and under wings. Mites especially are TINY little moving specks.
Then, check her for any other issues around her vent, especially for maggots. :sick It's obvious, and has a terrible odor. :sick:sick
Is her belly hard or swollen?
Mary

Thanks for the response. Do I check their actual skin or around the feathers? And techniques on doing this? I tried moving her wing up to check under it but she obviously didn't like it and walked away.
Thanks Mary!

It's about what's on her skin, mostly.
I've had birds die because of mites and lice, and learned the hard way. Generally they die of anemia, so pale combs, although sick birds will have pale combs for other reasons too.
I hope she's actually okay!
Mary

This sound alarmingly like Mareks.
But could be a nutrition deficiency.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
What exactly is their main feed?

Checking for bug is always a good thing to do:
Bugs check
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

She has grown too fast for her leg development to keep up with. Add vitamins to everyone's water and she should get over it. My rooster Harvey, who was Margaret originally, did the same thing. At 3 months he couldn't walk at all. Everyone said Mareks, but I simply added the vitamins and in two weeks you wouldn't know anything had ever been wrong with him! :hugs

As aart asked, what are you feeding, and what are the mill dates on each bag of feed? Vitamin deficiency issues can happen, especially with old feed, or with an individual who needs more than normal amounts of something.
If she's just sore from a minor injury, she'll get over it.
How is she doing now?
Mary

She has grown too fast for her leg development to keep up with. Add vitamins to everyone's water and she should get over it. My rooster Harvey, who was Margaret originally, did the same thing. At 3 months he couldn't walk at all. Everyone said Mareks, but I simply added the vitamins and in two weeks you wouldn't know anything had ever been wrong with him! :hugs

Thank you for this input! Yeah I’ve honesty seen some improvement in her mobility, her legs just seem a bit weak. And she is the biggest, so yes that all makes sense. How did you add vitamins? Through certain foods or something?

Thank you for this input! Yeah I’ve honesty seen some improvement in her mobility, her legs just seem a bit weak. And she is the biggest, so yes that all makes sense. How did you add vitamins? Through certain foods or something?
I put the vitamins in all the chickens water. They all got the vitamins. I still give my chickens vitamins in their water at least once a month. They have big water bowls, I have nothing automatic, I like interacting with the little critters too much! :D

Here's what I use for water bowls. It was hot this day and that's why there is a chicken standing in the water in this photo. I have 4 of the bowls, two in each run and then other water available outside the runs at all times.

chicken water bowls.jpg

Back
Top Bottom