chicken poop emergency.

AceSierra

Songster
Jun 2, 2020
hey new member here and I joined because I was worried about my chickens poop. Shes a black austrolorp. Her personality hasnt changed and shes still egg laying but lately shes been having these fits just before night where she yawns and shakes her head about five to eight times and her poop has been weird for a little bit too. Sometimes I can hear this wheezy bubbly sound from her nose. She has recently just bad her 2nd bday in april so shes still young and healthy. She comes inside at night and sleeps at the end of the bed in a cute little diaper. She is currently an only chicken since her sibling died back in August of mareks. (getting a baby silkie friday) I love her very dearly and she loves to cuddle at night and hide under the covers. I dont want anything to happen to her any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200529_185019.jpg
    20200529_185019.jpg
    994.9 KB · Views: 39
I was thinking maybe roundworms or gape worms but she hasnt been gaping just yawning and shaking her head.

Wheezing and nasal congestion sound like a respiratory disease. There are a handful of common ones with different symptoms. Does she sneeze or cough, or have bubbles or foam in an eye, or nasal drainage, and what color? If you had Mareks in one bird, it can cause a lack of immunity to common diseases. Here is a list diseases including the respiratory diseases infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum, coryza, and ILT symptoms and treatment:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

The other bird never had a vaccination but this one did so I dont believe it would be mareks a respiratory disease sounds more likely. I havent seen any nasal discharge except maybe some clear liquid and no puffy eyes or congestion. Planning on taking her to the vet today hopefully.

Let us know what the vet has to say. Some diseases are viruses, and antibiotics do not help. Some are bacterial and certain antibiotics may be helpful. Most resp diseases in chickens are chronic and make them carriers for life. Your vet might help you to get testing.

Back
Top Bottom