chicken poop on garden?

crazychickens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 19, 2008
Belleville, Wisconsin
Have chickens, now have chicken poop. I read some where you can only put aged manure on plants. What is " aged"? I have a cement bottem coop, I have 6 to 8 inches of straw down. The chickens keep it fluffy because they scratch in it. I have 18 chickens.
I live in Wisconsin so they stay in the coop most of the time now.
In the past I have tossed it (the poo) under some huge pine trees by the pond. I have a 30 by 100 foot garden and use straw to keep out weeds.

So my question is, how do I mix the plants and the poo?

Quote:
Yeah... I've heard that happens.
wink.png

I just don't put fresh poops on the plants. Anything that's dry and been sittin' around a while is fine. Do you do deep litter method in your coop? If so, when you clean it out, that should be fine.

my uncle does that with his chickens... i never really asked him how he does that but i have heard him say that when he turns the dirt while he is doing that he adds the chicken poop

I think chicken poop should be in the compost pile for like a year - depending on the heat and cold level - I'm talking about where I am where winter = snow and freezing.

My Dad and Granddad always said that chicken manure (not exactly what THEY called it) would burn your garden up. I think its the ammonia in it. Anyway, they said to let it age for about 6 weeks before you use it. I just spread it on my garden plots whenever I clean out the coops in the winter. That way it has time to age before I plant. Of course, I'll stop doing that about 6 weeks before I plant anything.

Quote:
It gets so dang hot here... I'm surpised the girls don't lay hard boiled eggs in the summer!
barnie.gif

I clean the coops out twice a month at the most- more in the winter and less in the summer when they are out all day. I pretty much take it and throw it right in, but it's mixed with shavings. And again, with the heat, I think it breaks up pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom