1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken poop on garden?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crazychickens, Feb 10, 2008.

1. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    Have chickens, now have chicken poop. I read some where you can only put aged manure on plants. What is " aged"? I have a cement bottem coop, I have 6 to 8 inches of straw down. The chickens keep it fluffy because they scratch in it. I have 18 chickens.
    I live in Wisconsin so they stay in the coop most of the time now.
    In the past I have tossed it (the poo) under some huge pine trees by the pond. I have a 30 by 100 foot garden and use straw to keep out weeds.

So my question is, how do I mix the plants and the poo?

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Yeah... I've heard that happens. [​IMG]
    I just don't put fresh poops on the plants. Anything that's dry and been sittin' around a while is fine. Do you do deep litter method in your coop? If so, when you clean it out, that should be fine.

3. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    What is the "deep litter method"
    What is the best method to do when its the middle of winter and I have a cement floor?

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    my uncle does that with his chickens... i never really asked him how he does that but i have heard him say that when he turns the dirt while he is doing that he adds the chicken poop

5. CarriBrown

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I think chicken poop should be in the compost pile for like a year - depending on the heat and cold level - I'm talking about where I am where winter = snow and freezing.

7. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    My Dad and Granddad always said that chicken manure (not exactly what THEY called it) would burn your garden up. I think its the ammonia in it. Anyway, they said to let it age for about 6 weeks before you use it. I just spread it on my garden plots whenever I clean out the coops in the winter. That way it has time to age before I plant. Of course, I'll stop doing that about 6 weeks before I plant anything.

8. CarriBrown

Quote:It gets so dang hot here... I'm surpised the girls don't lay hard boiled eggs in the summer! [​IMG]
    I clean the coops out twice a month at the most- more in the winter and less in the summer when they are out all day. I pretty much take it and throw it right in, but it's mixed with shavings. And again, with the heat, I think it breaks up pretty fast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by