Chicken poop when you don’t compost

Do you have a lawn? I do compost, but when my chickens decide that they want to hang on my lawn for the day, I simply water the poop in really good - down the the soil at the end of the day. Poop/smell is gone and my lawn is all the happier for it. 1/2 cups a day should not be too difficult to water in and give your lawn a nice treat.
That's an idea I can run with.

It needs to be cleaned depending on coop size mine is 6x4 on the ground and is cleaned every other week but they stay outside all day and only come in at night the only time I would say not to clean it is winter when you can stir it if you put a deep enough layer but it will need deep cleaning once spring hits

You could open a traditional bean trench, throw the chicken poop + any kitchen waste in through the winter, covering with a sprinkle of the dug-out soil as you go, and come spring you'll have a fertile bed ready to plant up with beans (or other hungry vegetable or flowers).
Wow! I thought the poop would be too hot for this for at least a year! It only has to sit for a few months and no turning? You may have just revolutionized my gardening.

happy to help. Here's a simple guide to this simple technique from the people who make the flagship BBC Gardeners' world
https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/maintain-the-garden/how-to-make-a-composting-trench/
the chicken poop will act as an activator and make it rot down even faster
That's awesome! Thank you. So, it's like in-ground composting. We will be building some raised beds since we both have problems getting down on the ground. It doesn't mention those - will it work just as well?

Back
Top Bottom