CHICKEN POOP WITH BLOOD!! HELP!

ebenavides5

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 13, 2011
I have 13 silkie bantam chicks and they are 1 week old. I noticed that one of them had a hard poop stuck to it's butt. When I removed it I noticed its butt had bright red blood. I had read about Coccidiosis and I don't know if it could be that. I don't know what to do, or give it or what could it even be. I have not seen any more signs of it and it's been two hours. I immediately separated the chick and replaced the other chicks food and water and brooder. I gave them medicated starter feed, with grit. What do I give him is this curable? What could it be?

I guess the first thing I would wonder is this, when you removed the stuck poop, perhaps the skin was injured and that is the blood you are seeing. Is that possible?

I agree with Yay Chicks, you probably pulled too hard, it is extremely easy to tear their tender skin. Next time, take it to the bathroom and get a Q-tip. Hold the Q-tip under warm running water and use that to kind of mop up their behinds. Sometimes you have to work at it for a while but keep applying more warm water from the Q-tip and eventually the warm water will soften the stuck poop and you can get it off. I use a little bit of toilet paper to wipe them dry and blow on their fluff a little so they don't become a target for the other chicks.

I don't know how to make sure its not coccidiosis other than what are you feeding them and how clean are you keeping their pen?

You can check it if you look closely to see whether its bleeding from the skin or coming from inside.

Back
Top Bottom