Chicken (Poultry) Addiction Anonymous *Chat Thread*

Hi there! I am Mrs.Woodbaby and my dear husband started our poultry addiction in 2007 when he "rescued" some ducklings from a transient petting zoo at a Reniassance Faire. They were getting too big and losing their cute fuzzy-ness. They turned out to be Muscovys, and so it began. We rescued a couple of more clutches that year (some Khaki Campbells) and added a few Toulouse Geese for protection. Then came the Pekins the next spring, and some crested Khaki Campbells, and more Muscovys.

Then we were faced with having to relocate, and gave over our flock to some friends (after trying to sell them off) as we could not guarantee our new house would accomodate any livestock. But we found a nice place and my hubby swiftly recruited our friends to set up a "huge" duck pen in the far corner of the property. Most of the original flock returned (minus the geese, which did sell), and we set about getting more in 2010. From our local Tractor Supply we got some Khaki Campbell and Rouen peeps, as well as going to several swap meets and getting more Muscovys (which my hubby really fancies), and even a couple of really cute brown Chinese goslings. The flock swelled to nearly 50 members!

Then, in August, a duck went missing.
sad.png
At first i thought it might have flown out of the pen (Muscovy ducks are fairly strong fliers), but it would soon turn out that something far more sinister was occurring. Soon we were missing ducks every few days. We hired a trapper, and he confirmed there were coyotes and bobcats about the area that he caught on his field camera . Then one fateful night I foiled an attack and spooked the culprit. One duck was outside the pen injured but alive, and as I rushed out with flashlight in hand to the pen, I discovered another injured duck inside the pen as well as one freshly killed. And there were very fresh footprints of the killer- a bobcat. The trapper's attempts to catch him failed, so we bit the bullet and purchased a heavy duty voltage electric charger and wire to put around the parameter of the pen. At that point our flock had dwindled to less than a dozen (not counting the ducklings we were brooding indoors or the geese- which now included 2 White Chinese boys and a single surviving Sebstaphol girl). We never caught the cat(s), but with 10,000 volts running thru the wire now, they haven't been back!
big_smile.png

Now it's spring again and my hubby decided he wanted chickens! So we now have a little flock of Black Copper Marans, and succesfully hatched four(of six) Maran eggs we purchased at the same time.
jumpy.gif
We attached the chicken run to the side of the duck pen and built a huge coop from a recycled work table. So the flock continues to grow (as there are a couple of swap meets coming up next month).......
clap.gif

Last edited:
Mrs.Woodbaby :

Hi there! I am Mrs.Woodbaby and my dear husband started our poultry addiction in 2007 when he "rescued" some ducklings from a transient petting zoo at a Reniassance Faire. They were getting too big and losing their cute fuzzy-ness. They turned out to be Muscovys, and so it began. We rescued a couple of more clutches that year (some Khaki Campbells) and added a few Toulouse Geese for protection. Then came the Pekins the next spring, and some crested Khaki Campbells, and more Muscovys.

Then we were faced with having to relocate, and gave over our flock to some friends (after trying to sell them off) as we could not guarantee our new house would accomodate any livestock. But we found a nice place and my hubby swiftly recruited our friends to set up a "huge" duck pen in the far corner of the property. Most of the original flock returned (minus the geese, which did sell), and we set about getting more in 2010. From our local Tractor Supply we got some Khaki Campbell and Rouen peeps, as well as going to several swap meets and getting more Muscovys (which my hubby really fancies), and even a couple of really cute brown Chinese goslings. The flock swelled to nearly 50 members!

Then, in August, a duck went missing.
sad.png
At first i thought it might have flown out of the pen (Muscovy ducks are fairly strong fliers), but it would soon turn out that something far more sinister was occurring. Soon we were missing ducks every few days. We hired a trapper, and he confirmed there were coyotes and bobcats about the area that he caught on his field camera . Then one fateful night I foiled an attack and spooked the culprit. One duck was outside the pen injured but alive, and as I rushed out with flashlight in hand to the pen, I discovered another injured duck inside the pen as well as one freshly killed. And there were very fresh footprints of the killer- a bobcat. The trapper's attempts to catch him failed, so we bit the bullet and purchased a heavy duty voltage electric charger and wire to put around the parameter of the pen. At that point our flock had dwindled to less than a dozen (not counting the ducklings we were brooding indoors or the geese- which now included 2 White Chinese boys and a single surviving Sebstaphol girl). We never caught the cat(s), but with 10,000 volts running thru the wire now, they haven't been back!
big_smile.png

Now it's spring again and my hubby decided he wanted chickens! So we now have a little flock of Black Copper Marans, and succesfully hatched four(of six) Maran eggs we purchased at the same time.
jumpy.gif
We attached the chicken run to the side of the duck pen and built a huge coop from a recycled work table. So the flock continues to grow (as there are a couple of swap meets coming up next month).......
clap.gif

First :
welcome-byc.gif
The people are wonderful here. There is a whole section devoted to ducks even. We chicken people like ducks too. (Sometimes some meany head says we can't have them cuz we have enough birds already, however. Is there any such a thing as TO MANY BIRDS? Silly meany head)

Second: I am sorry for your losses. I hope the fence keeps everything out that should be out and everything in that should be in.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Hmmm....now I am curious. What color are the eggs? Do you have a roo? How many do you have?

Naw, I gave away the five roos I hatched with these - I should have kept one! These are from the chickenstock eggs so they are now five months old. The egg is cream colored and look how tiny!
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/fuzzyslipperz/mfdegg.jpg

Oh, and there are four girls. I want them to go together, where ever they end up going. They are rather attached to each other. LOL.

hahaha! I want them still! haha

Quote:
Naw, I gave away the five roos I hatched with these - I should have kept one! These are from the chickenstock eggs so they are now five months old. The egg is cream colored and look how tiny!
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/fuzzyslipperz/mfdegg.jpg

Oh, and there are four girls. I want them to go together, where ever they end up going. They are rather attached to each other. LOL.

hahaha! I want them still! haha

Cass has committed and has dibs! She's promising me that her coop will be done soon.
smile.png
get cracking cass!
smile.png
My four tiny girls in an 8x8 coop, rofl. You need to get MORE chickies!

I have a huge hatch (for me, 40+ eggs) locking down today - and I have to use my horribleator for overflow - forgot and put cold water in the troughs and temps taking forever to come back up. Urgh! My brinsea popped right up to the proper temp and humidity.. I'm still mad at brinsea (the company) tho - they require an in person signature for everything they send so i have to tromp down to UPS today after work to get my second ecoglow. Too bad no one was selling a used one when I needed it!
smile.png

SO going on lockdown today, I have a bunch of easy to tell apart eggs - turkens, australorp, SS and light brahma.. Then I have mystery eggs from Lovins and mutt eggs from my own chickens. Those I'll be scratching my head over.
smile.png
I'm guessing MY mutt eggs will look kinda like EE's with feathered legs (ee x cochin), but no idea on the others!

Last edited:
Hello! I'm Liz, and I love my chickens! I would take up a chance to get a few more, but in the city here there's not that much space
sad.png
I have also kept ducks before. When you own as few chickens as me, you get to see their personalities come through, they're all very different, some days one will get right on my nerves and the next she'll be my favourite!
lol.png

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
I live in the city too, and I totally agree with what you're saying about their personalities.
smile.png
Mine are so like that!

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
I live in the city too, and I totally agree with what you're saying about their personalities.
smile.png
Mine are so like that!

Thanks!
big_smile.png
Yes, the chickens come in pairs. In each pair, there's one that's of a mild personality, while the other's violent and a loud whinger when she's hungry
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom