1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Chicken Pox

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stestory, Feb 9, 2013.

1. stestory

stestory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]
    I've not had chickens long (1 year), and they are forever entertaining. This is the latest new thing I've found and I wonder if any one else has seen eggs like this. I am amased at the variety of shapes and colors of eggs they lay, but this is the first with texture. Anyone know why?

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I have several laying eggs with this sandpaper texture on the eggs. My understanding is it has to do with calcium intake. And is more common with pullets jsut starting to lay (which mine are) Are yours new pullets just starting out?

This website has lots of helpful info:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] There was extra calcium in the assembly line when that egg was being created. Sometimes a hen will lay all of her eggs like that, and sometimes she will do so only occasionally. One thing for sure - it beats laying soft shelled eggs.

4. stestory

stestory Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    They are just under a year old. The shells are generally much thicker than store eggs and recently I've had a couple broken eggs which they gobble up before I can clean up. I have five reds and one buff. Egg shapes very widely also from regular to tubular shape.

5. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I was reading that during the winter when they have less free ranging time, they tend to accumulate too much calcium and will then lay eggs with bumps such as this.

1 person likes this.
  6. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    We get those non-skid eggs sometimes, too.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by