Chicken Processing Workshop

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by teach1rusl, Jul 7, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

http://riversongfarm.com/workshops/chicken-dinner-workshop/

For
    anyone semi-close to Taylorsville, Kentucky - a fellow BYCer turned me on to this chicken processing "workshop." I'm trying to talk DH into going with me...hoping I'm not too "chicken" to attend. I've tossed around the idea of trying my hand at raising meatbirds early next spring - so this would be a great way to see if I could handle it.

2. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    That is AWESOME! I would def. go to that if it were in my area - DH and I are going at it blind but I would have loved a walk through first like that. Are you planning on doing this? I think its a great idea - I currently have 35 birds growing out and have never butchered any. DH is a hunter and has processed several large breed animals so I plan on "helping" but know that I don't have to do the deed if I don't want to.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:DH hasn't hunted/trapped since he was a teen (MANY moons ago [​IMG] ), and I'm not even sure if he just sold the animals as is or if he processed them first. Now, he tells me that he likes store bought chicken just fine, so I think he'd have a hard time time processing. I would too - I'd just like to know I could do it. They allow about 10 observers too - so I'm not sure whether I'd be an observer or a participant yet. It'd be great if more areas offered classes like this...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by