Chicken PTSD?

jbrewster

Chirping
Jul 18, 2017
I have two American Bresse hens. Two weeks ago, I adopted a Great Dane. My previous Dane was great with the hens, my new Dane is very interested in chasing my chickens. I let the chickens out to free range most days, and on one of the first days I had my new dog, he chased them, though they both just ran away and were fine. After I realized what his prey drive was like, I was able to monitor their interactions and ensure the chickens were either in their very secure coop or outside the fence before letting the dog out. A few days later, I thought the chickens were outside of the fenced yard (one was behind a tree and I didn't see her), so I let the dog out, and he managed to get one of my hens in his mouth. He didn't do any external damage (no blood, puncture wounds, etc.), but both hens have been staying in their coop pretty much all day, and not venturing out to their run. I got them to go outside yesterday, but within 10 mins, they went back to their coop.

[As an aside, we've also had a decent amount of snow, rain, and generally dark and miserable weather for the past three weeks. The week before I got my dog, they stayed inside their coop just because it was so cold outside.]

I'm curious--are they staying in their coop because they are scared of the dog? There are a lot of neighborhood predators (raccoons, dogs, etc) and they haven't acted like this before. Any insight is helpful!

Well this new dog is a game changer.
You dont say how old the dog is or if you intend to train him around the chickens.
I sugest you have a plan to confine the chickens permenantly.
This new dog is not chicken safe and even with training may never be trustworthy.
He can kill your hens easily, and will do so when given the chance.
Sorry about the loss of your previous dog.

Even if he doesn't kill them, he is so big and powerful playful mouthing may result in serious injury. Danes are awesome dogs and it will take A LOT of effort on your part to break his prey drive and bad habit he has already developed.
We got our pure bred pitadore (get it? Hes a pitbull lab mixed mutt) as a puppy and raised him (hes only 1 yr old) with the chickens. He chased too at first but 99% of the time today the chickens are uninteresting to him. Occasionally he will chase one when goes into super excited mode but he never tries to really catch one. Key is slow, calm, closely supervised introductions that lengthen over time. But if he just can't get passed it, then a secure coop/run setup is the best solution.
The weather could be causing your birds lack of interest in going outside or the encounter with the dog or a combo. I can always tell when a predator came by our coop at night because the birds won't leave it in the morning until very late.

:frowYou can teach an old dog new tricks! I inherited a 4 yr old dachshund from my Mom and she had never been loose. She was just fine with the grown chickens but she did kill 2 chicks the first summer I had her. With some positive reinforcement (and mother hens:D)she now leaves all the chickens alone. It's been 3 years but I still keep a close eye when we have chicks around.
Good luck with you new pup! 🐶

@jbrewster how old is your Dane? I have a Blue Dane and an Aussie Mix. Danes aren't a high prey drive breed and they learn so quickly so the solution of permanent separation is kind of a last resort imo. I had issues in the beginning but constant correction and really working to integrate them all together I trust them to be outside unsupervised now. Situationally I don't leave them unsupervised, play time with other dogs that visit etc, but we're always out with them anyways. Patience, correction and supervision worked for us!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200131_161314.jpg
    MVIMG_20200131_161314.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom