Chicken ramp help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by maltvarm, Sep 29, 2012.

1. maltvarm

maltvarm New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    Canada
    Hi peeps! I'm new here, looking for some insight on the possibilities of a chicken ramp. We currently have a coop, raised, with the door being about 3 feet off the ground. We attached a 5x3 wood pallet (yeah, a bit of overkill, but was what we had on hand) for a ramp. The chickens have no problem with it, and neither do the rabbits. Lol. We have a large pen for our pets (5, 4 month old soon to be laying hens, 2 adopted 5 month old rabbits). The rabbits have their own insulated shelter, but seem to like the nesting boxes in the coop. I need to redo the ramp so the rabbits don't or can't co into the coop at all.
    Are chickens really fussy? I know they could get out without anything, as they often jump off the top of their ramp, but what do they need to get in?

Thanks, I hope I gave you enough info to visualize it....if you have questions, let me know!

[=https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/712283/greetings-from-canada] barbara[/]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    A piece of 2x4 3 ft long with maybe 1 strip a little shorter, spaced out enough for them to fly on and jump into the coop. The rabbits should not be able to get in.

3. maltvarm

maltvarm New Egg

Sep 29, 2012
    Canada
    Ha! Lol. Who would have thought....such a simple solution. Lol. Almost embarrassing? :). Yup. We just raised the other end of the pallet, and made it a huge porch! Here is hoping they do not abuse this porch privilege, and fly the coop from it! (the ramp is right along the fence.)

Thank you for your reply, which inspired our solution! :)

Barbara

4. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    You are very welcome. Anything to help[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by