chicken ration using fine ground corn

unclenicknack

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
I have 200 pounds of ground corn left over from feed for other animals.
What other grains and elements should I mix with the corn to have a balanced ration for layers ?

You would probably need a bunch of other ingredients. I personally mix cracked corn with boss for scratch, so perhaps you could use it that way.

I guess I'm looking for another farmer that has a substantial flock that grinds & mixes their own feed with ingredients and weights.

I guess I'm looking for another farmer that has a substantial flock that grinds & mixes their own feed with ingredients and weights.

Yes.

Feedstuffs higher in protein needed to balance the low protein to the corn meal needed. Soybean meal would be a good start. Protein content varies with how the soybeans were processed. Gluten meals and bran might be considered as well. What types of feedstuffs do you have access to?

my bagged organic feed contains corn, expelled soybean meal, wheat, peas, alfalfa meal, flaxseed, oyster she'll, then a host of mineral elements. I can get these but have unknown proportions. Will probably go to an ag extension site for a layer ration.

I use 50# of corn for every 300# fed. 50# corn, 50# wheat, 50# millet, 50# oats or barley, 100# alfalfa pellets. I switch out a bit depending on needs, but that's the average ratio and usual ingredients.

Corn is so low on protein but good on vitamins and high energy. That and I ferment, so they can't pick it out as easy ;)

Shortgrass, I like your mixture, could you explain your fermentation process. I've got 2 metal feeders with the adjustable bases ( about 20lbs feed each ). I've had to set them into a larger shallow feed pan to catch the fallout factor. I really don't like these galvanized things, the dry feed doesn't slide down well . I assume the fermented feed is moist and will stick and freeze. -23 degrees yesterday. I have a 23 x 14 converted insulated milk house.

Shortgrass, I like your mixture, could you explain your fermentation process. I've got 2 metal feeders with the adjustable bases ( about 20lbs feed each ). I've had to set them into a larger shallow feed pan to catch the fallout factor. I really don't like these galvanized things, the dry feed doesn't slide down well . I assume the fermented feed is moist and will stick and freeze. -23 degrees yesterday. I have a 23 x 14 converted insulated milk house.

Sure thing!

And yes, it freezes lol. Winter really socks it to me on the FF, but they eat it so fast it usually doesn't have time to freeze. It'll (the buckets, that is) have to be kept indoors, though, so it can "grow" microbes, otherwise it'll just be a frozen chunk of wet feed :D

I use 2 5 gallon buckets and fill about 3/4 full of feed. Then I top off the bucket with dechlorinated water. Sometimes I add a probiotics powder, but its not needed at all really. Makes the process work faster sometimes is all. Then I let it sit for a few days first. (That's why I use 2 buckets, so one can be growing while I use the other one, and go back and forth etc)

There's no need to clean the buckets or anything; when they're almost empty I just add more feed and more water. In summer I keep the buckets covered tight to reduce gnats and mold growth, but never really had any other issues besides someone knocking the lid off and helping themselves :p

If it does feeze, you can always do this lol...

I call it..the Flock Block Pop ha-ha :D

Oh, and PS, I use rubber feed pans. It makes it easier for them to just get in there and gobble it up and the pans are easy to clean.

Last edited:
Yea I've got 19 hens and one big boy so feeding is like a shark attack lol. Had a poor little mouse in the pen once, end of story. I thought a Valasa Raptor would of been vicious, chickens take the cake.

Back
Top Bottom