Chicken rehabilitation

Skipper81

" For my yoke is easy and my burden is light "
Feb 11, 2018
Middle Tennessee
D15FF7BD-C97E-4893-A1D7-933A0B22C6F7.jpeg
My neighbor lost there flock to a bobcat and the lone survivor was an Ayam Cemani rooster. He is very disturbed hides his face and shakes. He saw some horrible things. Bobcat are 40 chickens this summer most were cemanis. My question is how do I rehabilitate him. His comb has fallen over and I put him in with my flock and the felt so bad they didn’t even want to do pecking order with him. He’s about 10 months and I have a cemani female same age so I plan on breeding but most importantly I want to save him from depression,anxiety and fear. If anyone has any experience with this type of stuff I could use advise. He has made himself look like a hen basically which I’ve seen my low rank Roos do but I gotta get him to hold his head up high and enjoy living a happy safe like with my flock.

He hides from everyone so for tonight I put him in a cage with 2 month old cockerel and a couple pullets he doesn’t seem to mind them for tonight but when I put him in the run with my flock he was so scared because I have 50 birds all together with 12 of them being roosters nobody payed any attention to him which I saw a a bad sign. He will forage for a minute then stick his head to the ground and start hiding and shaking back and forth he’s an emotional wreck. I also brought him in and he ate with 5 day old chicks so he could see he’s in a safe place. He is eating and drinking but I’ve never seen a chicken shake in fear it’s so sad I held him and sang to him most of today. the floor in his previous coop is concrete but his nails are so long I can tell he has been standing in 1 spot for months not walking around

Yes I agree give him the hen for a friend. He’s very traumatized and to gain his confidence may take a while. I’m so sorry about your neighbors flock, truly sad situation.
Did they get the cat?
It’d scare me having a bobcat in the area that now has a taste for chickens.
Give him time. I don’t know your setup. But if it were me I’d keep him in my x-Lg dog crate w/the hen inside my run. To loose your flock mates and the be taken to a new home with a bunch of new chickens is overwhelming. Go slow take your time. Give him treats by hand to build trust.

I think your right my flock is very excepting to outsiders but they acted like he wasn’t there like as if he wasn’t a chicken I’ll find a girl that will fit the job in the morning Your right that will be a good start
Yes I agree give him the hen for a friend. He’s very traumatized and to gain his confidence may take a while. I’m so sorry about your neighbors flock, truly sad situation.
Did they get the cat?
It’d scare me having a bobcat in the area that now has a taste for chickens.
Give him time. I don’t know your setup. But if it were me I’d keep him in my x-Lg dog crate w/the hen inside my run. To loose your flock mates and the be taken to a new home with a bunch of new chickens is overwhelming. Go slow take your time. Give him treats by hand to build trust

Poor thing he’s going to be beautiful when he’s fully grown. I’m glad your flock is nice to him...kinda shocking they didn’t react. Perhaps they sensed his stress. I have very very nice girls but gotta tell you they would probably gang up on him.
Make sure he keeps eating and drinking shock and stress can really be dangerous for a bird. My best wishes for you and your lovely survivor.

First of all, that is not a cockerel. A cockerel would have very long, noticeably pointed saddle feathers by now.

She probably just needs some time. Put her in a quiet, dark place with a more gentle companion and give her lots of treats.

Back
Top Bottom