1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Resolutions . . .

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Jan 1, 2011.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Happy New Years my chicken friends! soooo . . . what are your goals/resolutions pertaining to your meat birds this year???

2. Arrowhead07

Arrowhead07 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    NW Michigan
    First to breed and raise my own Dark Cornish

Second, to breed some crosses, like all you big shots.(Al,Kathy, Jeff,Steve) I know that I have left many out and I apologize!

I have 25 CX pullets to use with my dark cornish and sussex. I hate being impatient!

Good luck to all!!

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    To start a separate breeding pen with 5 cornish hens, 5 BR hens, 5 white LH hens and one single RIR roo for guarantee of sex determination and meat production of the cornish crosses and male sexed link.
    Last year the pullet sales financed my meat operations. If I can be absolutely positive on the sex, I can do even better.....free meat.

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I vow to spend a whole day putting a (small?) cow's-worth of poultry/waterfowl/gamebird meat in the freezer this fall including, but not limited to: turkeys, CornishX, roosters(I consider them separate animals [​IMG], ducks, muscovies, geese (at least one if I don't sell out again...), jumbo guineas, and jumbo pheasants.

I also vow to make everything in Teubner's book "The Chicken and Poultry Bible" which, as its name suggests, is indeed the poultry/waterfowl/gamebird bible. I have absolutely no idea how I became so stoked about cooking birds before looking through all of the exciting and unique ideas/recipes that are in this book.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

More heritage in my birds and less hatchery.

Working on chunky EEs - so the cockerels who are butchered have more than 4 pounds on them at 4.5 to 5 months.

More Heritage Orpingtons.

Oh, and more geese for the freezer - not chickens but still fowl [​IMG]

6. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    raising a small batch of CX for meat (25 at the most)
    Possibly raising a turk for thanksgiving
    If we move, getting some weaner pigs
    Put some ducks in the freezer

Not as big as your guys goals, but big for us [​IMG]

7. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Raiquee, I think what you meant to say is "Not as absolutely insane as what you guys are doing, but at least we won't be a foaming-at-the-mouth-wreck this time next year." I really hope I'm not a gibbering mess by the time I accomplish...ah...anything on my resolution list [​IMG]

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    these are great keep them coming that way we have a source to check in on each other . . . let's say in 3 month intervals?

9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    To not buy a single whole chicken at the store, and continue to fill my freezer with chickens other people raise [​IMG] I *might* try raising some meaties, but I'm really liking this deal I've got going.

10. Firemenlovechicks

Firemenlovechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Gonna raise turkeys and quail this year...........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by