Chicken rookie...help identify my breeds?

5acreFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 7, 2013
Central Wisconsin
I am a chicken rookie.

My ten chicks are 9 weeks old and an assortment from a mail order hatchery. Everything is moving smoothly along....just wondering what breeds I have? Supposed to have 10 females but I am thinking a cockerel slipped through the cracks...

I am a chicken rookie. My ten chicks are 9 weeks old and an assortment from a mail order hatchery. Everything is moving smoothly along....just wondering what breeds I have? Supposed to have 10 females but I am thinking a cockerel slipped through the cracks...
First picture- Partridge Rock Second picture- Columbian Wyandotte Fourth picture- 2 barred chicks near the front are Barred Rocks, white chicken with a black tip on tail is a Delaware, buff chick is a Buff Orpington, and the gray chick behind the walking black chicken is a Cuckoo Maran. :) Do you have some closer pictures of the black chicks?

Thanks Veer67,

Here is a pic of black chicks..

The Wyandotte is the one I'm thinking is a roo. The day they came in the mail I put them in the brooder and "it" started dragging another chick around by it's wing. Has been feisty since day one!

The Partridge Rock has been the smallest chick since day one.

The Delaware is by far the most curious and friendly.

The Barred Rocks and the BO are very docile and laid back.

First picture- Partridge Rock
Second picture- Columbian Wyandotte
Fourth picture- 2 barred chicks near the front are Barred Rocks, white chicken with a black tip on tail is a Delaware, buff chick is a Buff Orpington, and the gray chick behind the walking black chicken is a Cuckoo Maran.
smile.png
Do you have some closer pictures of the black chicks?
welcome-byc.gif

I second the above ID. I don't see any cockerels at this point. usually they're pretty evident by 10 weeks. You have a nice looking flock!

:welcome

I second the above ID. I don't see any cockerels at this point. usually they're pretty evident by 10 weeks. You have a nice looking flock!

Thank you Donrae,

I hope your right about no Roos....I kind of like the little "guy" !

I know the "chicken gods" will get me for this....but up to this point it has been easy! A lot of work into the coop and run but surprisingly low maintenance and smell....which I am happy about. I credit that to the coop and run design which is 100 % due to the info from BYC !

The only complaint I have is right now they do a whole lot of consuming and not any producing!!!! But I know that will change :)

Last edited:
I agree, it's frustrating to be buying both chicken feed and eggs
hmm.png
. Seems redundant.....but, they're a great investment. Couple more months and you'll have a ton of nice brown eggs and be checking the recipe section for way to use them all!

I agree, it's frustrating to be buying both chicken feed and eggs
hmm.png
. Seems redundant.....but, they're a great investment. Couple more months and you'll have a ton of nice brown eggs and be checking the recipe section for way to use them all!

They are going to have to lay eggs at some point or else my wife is going to think it is just an expensive hobby!! This chicken thing is just the "gateway drug" to bigger things....I keep telling my wife..."you know what goes good with eggs honey?....BACON!!"
idunno.gif
(my wife rolling her eyes)

Thanks Veer67,

Here is a pic of black chicks..

Oh! If you get a breed ID on this black one - I suspect that's the type of the feral chicken who left her brood in our back yard! I'd love to find out what that is, everything looks like a young version of her. She vanished and now I've got seven chicks to raise - they're probably 6 or 7 weeks old right now.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom