Chicken Roost???

fishin1215

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Should you have a chicken roost in your coupe, and if so what is the best material to use? 2x4, 2x2

Thanks
Mike

welcome-byc.gif

Most everyone has a roost in the coop. Usually a 2x4. In the colder parts of the country they turn the 2x4 with the 4 inch side up so the chickens can keep their toes warm. I'm thinking at least 10 inches between the wall and the roost, and how high it is depends on what kind of chickens you have.

I've never had silkies but I understand that they don't always use a roost. I used to have some really big Jersey giants, and they liked to step up on the roost from the floor, so I had their roost just a few inches high. They were pretty lazy, though.

You have chickens yet? What kind? Or what kind are you wanting???

curiosity killed the cat!
big_smile.png

DEFINETLY 2x4, if you have a circular one they curl their toes around the branch to hold on, and that way their tes can freze in the winter. Some people say that it is easier for them to hold on with a circular one but i dont think it is at all, it is just as easy to hold onto a 2x4. Hope i helped!

~Trista~

And.....
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the help. I will puting a roost toggether tomorrow. I'm sure my girls will be pleased wit the addition to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom