Chicken roosts problem

Pics

ChickenDude12345

Songster
Jun 16, 2021
Northern NH
So I have twelve chickens and three 3 foot long roosts. But they don’t really use the bottom one because it’s only 8 inches off the ground. They are super crowded on the two roosts and are pecking each other for the best roosting spots. When they get bigger I don’t think they’ll have enough room (they are only 10 weeks old) when they are older. I do have room to put in two more roosts that are as high as the two highest ones. Should I put them in?

So I have twelve chickens and three 3 foot long roosts. But they don’t really use the bottom one because it’s only 8 inches off the ground. They are super crowded on the two roosts and are pecking each other for the best roosting spots. When they get bigger I don’t think they’ll have enough room (they are only 10 weeks old) when they are older. I do have room to put in two more roosts that are as high as the two highest ones. Should I put them in?
Please post pictures of the inside of your coop. You want to try to hit 1 foot of roost space per bird.
I prefer to have all the roosts at the same height.

Please post pictures of the inside of your coop. You want to try to hit 1 foot of roost space per bird.
I prefer to have all the roosts at the same height.
Ok I will get a few.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 123
I don't really see room for 2 more roosts - 1 more, maybe? Your birds are still growing and look to already be getting too close to each other on the roosts. Get a measuring tape - is there at least 14-16" between the top 2 roosts?

The dowels you're using look a bit narrow as well, do you know the diameter on those?

I don't really see room for 2 more roosts - 1 more, maybe? Your birds are still growing and look to already be getting too close to each other on the roosts. Get a measuring tape - is there at least 14-16" between the top 2 roosts?

The dowels you're using look a bit narrow as well, do you know the diameter on those?
I’ll measure those two top roosts and I don’t know the diameter of the dowels. If I were to put in my most I would use a 2 x 4 and I thought I might be able to fit one right next to it but maybe not

Ok I will get a few.
That's a very tight fit for the number of birds you have.
I assume the cardboard is blocking off the nest boxes.
I would try to remove the ladder roost and run an 8' 2x4 right down the middle of the coop with it positioned just under the window at the end and supported by a 2x4 post at the other end where the door appears to be.
Then position a 4' roost cross wise over the end nearest the door, 18" from the door. That will provide 12' of roost space and permit the birds to jump up and down from the roosts.
Make them removable.
It's going to be a nightmare trying to get birds out of a coop like that at night when the need arises. BTDT.

How large is the coop itself?

In addition to inadequate roost space, it doesn't look like you have the space that 12 chickens will need as adults.

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop,
  • 10 square feet in the run,
  • 1 linear foot of roost,
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
So a flock of 12 needs:
  • 48 square feet in the coop.
  • 12 feet of roost
  • 120 square feet in the run.
  • 12 square feet of ventilation.
  • 3 nest boxes.

That's a very tight fit for the number of birds you have.
I assume the cardboard is blocking off the nest boxes.
I would try to remove the ladder roost and run an 8' 2x4 right down the middle of the coop with it positioned just under the window at the end and supported by a 2x4 post at the other end where the door appears to be.
Then position a 4' roost cross wise over the end nearest the door, 18" from the door. That will provide 12' of roost space and permit the birds to jump up and down from the roosts.
Make them removable.
It's going to be a nightmare trying to get birds out of a coop like that at night when the need arises. BTDT.
The cardboard is blocking the nest boxes. If I remove that whole ladder that they’ve been roosting on Would they stop roosting or did they just get on any high space

Back
Top Bottom