Chicken run and swimming pool

babybaits

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
I didn't know whether to post this on this forum or pool maintenance forum, but I decided here.

This is the first year we have a pool and the best placement for it was right in front of our fenced in chicken run. I've had a few algae situations and I've noticed it usually starts on the side closest to the chicken run. Could the run be giving off dirt in the air that's going into the pool? I think that would be logical.

What kind of pool is it?
Does it have a filtering system?
Are you using chlorine or any other sanitization process on your pool?
I'm assuming you mean a swimming pool for humans?

What kind of pool is it?
Does it have a filtering system?
Are you using chlorine or any other sanitization process on your pool?
I'm assuming you mean a swimming pool for humans?
Yes, it's a swimming pool for humans. It's an above ground pool. I do have a filter (a small 1000 gph one) and constantly check and make sure the levels of everything are good.

Yes, it's a swimming pool for humans. It's an above ground pool. I do have a filter (a small 1000 gph one) and constantly check and make sure the levels of everything are good.
Not sure if it could be something floating in from the run, or elsewhere in the yard, or being tracked in by human feet.
Is there more shade on the side where the algae forms?
You say "a few", does it come and go?
I'd browse around the pool maintenance forums to learn how algae can happen.

Have you been getting a lot of rain? If so that's probably your algae issue. Algicide won't work if you don't brush the pool first. It has to be floating or suspended in the water for it to work properly. I've gone through a lot of algicide this year because we've had so much rain. It will also form faster on the north, or shady areas first. I'm thinking it doesn't have anything to do with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom