Chicken run- best material for floor that's proven????

Consider using deep litter method, using wood chips prefer aged most times you can get dumped free from tree trimming company or from your city street dept. Make at least 6 inches deep and add additional layers of yard debris, garden waste, grass clippings as needed to consume the manure and provide a dry surface, even during rainy times the deep litter will drain away from the surface and elimate ponding water. The aged wood chips already has the good bugs in place to compost the manure providing great mulch for the garden and flowers and allowing a once a year clean out cycle. I use this system and have had great success a member of this site Beekissed wrote once to simulate the forest floor for a natural habitat from which the chickens came from makes for a healthy bedding.

I have a 20x10 run...It has a nearly half buried 2x18 on the bottom of the run. I was thinking of putting down 4-5 inches of a crusher mix or gravel and then throwing some course sand on top (maybe another 4-6 inches) Was even hoping to put river stone in...what do you all think?

I have a 20x10 run...It has a nearly half buried 2x18 on the bottom of the run. I was thinking of putting down 4-5 inches of a crusher mix or gravel and then throwing some course sand on top (maybe another 4-6 inches) Was even hoping to put river stone in...what do you all think?
Sand will sift down in rocks...eventually becoming saturated with pulverized poop and stink when wet.
Go with this:
Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

This thread is a million years old, but I am wondering what tankernav1 used. My enclosed covered un is on concrete as well. I toss all the grass clippings in their now, but I’m wondering what to use in winter.

We have just over half an acre of yard, living in a subdivision. And I considered getting a tractor coop/run so I can just move them all over the yard and let them have the grass. Would they ruin our grass? Also, our dogs have a designated bathroom spot so we don't have to worry about poop. Do you think 3 hens' poop would create a landmine if I move the tractor all over? Or would the poop just fry and disappear into the grass nicely?
We had a tractor coop and hubby found it difficult to move each week - though we have somewhat "hilly" property. Poop isn't a problem, as it's great fertilizer. We live in a rural-ish area, so having great grass wasn't an issue, but we do notice than in one week's time, the chickens pretty much disintegrate everything green underfoot. Of course, it comes back, but often with weeds.

Hubby just built a new, large coop and run. He is thinking of using pea gravel for bottom of run. Good idea?

I know this is old, but I can speak directly to it. At our old place, I had extra pea gravel so put that in one section of the run - under the coop, and near the coop.... basically, where we'd need to feed them, change water, get eggs.

We left the rest of the run for hay (to prevent mud).

The pea gravel area does work... sort of. The chickens kick it around some at first, so don't have any illusions of clean lines. However, eventually, they will poop in it so much that you will end up with something approaching pea gravel and poop concrete once the seasons mix it together and it dries up. The chickens will stop scratching it, and it'll be hard to dig (if you had to). I guess it worked okay around the coop? We still got an occasional rat industrious enough to dig in it, but just filled it back in.

I definitely wouldn't cover the entire run in it. I also wouldn't purchase pea gravel for a limited area. But... if I already had extra pea gravel, I might consider doing it again with the full understanding I'm making a hard surface.

I have seen in others that when the runs turn into mud after a rain, use a dirt shovel and flip the dirt. Puts your mud on bottom, dry dirt on top doing this around the run and using a garden rake to rake it smoothe quick and easily. If anyone is like me, lately it isnt easy to find pine shavings to buy

Back
Top Bottom