Chicken run- best material for floor that's proven????

Pics
I have gone with a wire 2" grid (wire the size of a pencil) over my coop floor. Similar to what is pictured below with 4"x4"x4" cubed blocks stationed under neath the grid on top of a tarp to form a drop pit it worked excellent all summer and I will clean the coop before winter sets in and things freeze solid. The grid even keeps you chickens feet cleaner which in turn keeps your eggs and nest boxes less soiled. I live in Canada and am subject to -40º temperatures.View attachment 1182877 Clean up is simple replace the tarp with a second one. Spread the first tarp out in the sun to bake and dry. Then flex the first tarp over the compost bin and hose off any stubborn chicken poop.

Easy Peasy Japaneasy.
I know this is a super old post, so hopefully you'll see this reply. So am I understanding that you have the tarp on the ground with this grid on top of that? And when it's time to swap out, you remove the grid then the tarp and replace with clean tarp?

I put mulch on my run floor. After 3 months of it on the run floor, I scoop it with the shovel, put it in the wheel barrel, then lay it all on a fresh floor of grass away from the run. I then get the hose and act as the rain to wash all the poop off. It is work, but I think the mulch looks better.

Edit: Be sure to use cypress mulch.

Back
Top Bottom