Chicken Run Composting Design planning

How do you dry and store your grass clippings? I have a 3 bag collector on my riding mower, so I have potential for lots of grass clippings.

I let the back yard get a little high, hit it with the side discharge throwing into the uncut, and then right over the clippings about about three or four passes, then turn around and throw it back the other way one pass. Wind rowing basically, let it dry about 2 good windy warm days. Then pick up the wind rows with the bagger. You still have to becareful leave it breathe and watch for fire, because you'll pick up some green when you bag. It ain't hay, but it is good enough for mulch. That's the basics, kind got a grid down on the wind rowing, not much traveling without mowing.

I let the back yard get a little high, hit it with the side discharge throwing into the uncut, and then right over the clippings about about three or four passes, then turn around and throw it back the other way one pass. Wind rowing basically, let it dry about 2 good windy warm days. Then pick up the wind rows with the bagger. You still have to becareful leave it breathe and watch for fire, because you'll pick up some green when you bag. It ain't hay, but it is good enough for mulch. That's the basics, kind got a grid down on the wind rowing, not much traveling without mowing.

OK. I think that would work if the initial grass was high enough. My normal cutting is too short and the grass clippings would be lost into the soil.

I wonder if there is a way to mow the lawn normally with a bagger, then dry out those grass clippings for storage. That would work better for me. But I could set aside a plot of grass and let it grow taller for wind rowing.

Do you use regular trash bags for storage, or do you use larger/smaller bags for your dried grass storage? Do you compress your dried grass? My concern would be that the grass might start hot composting in the bag and that would not be good.

OK. I think that would work if the initial grass was high enough. My normal cutting is too short and the grass clippings would be lost into the soil.

I wonder if there is a way to mow the lawn normally with a bagger, then dry out those grass clippings for storage. That would work better for me. But I could set aside a plot of grass and let it grow taller for wind rowing.

Do you use regular trash bags for storage, or do you use larger/smaller bags for your dried grass storage? Do you compress your dried grass? My concern would be that the grass might start hot composting in the bag and that would not be good.
I have bagged it first, it really has to be spread thin, and you have to turn it really frequently. Another thing I ran into was just over night most of the moisture would go to the bottom. I was doing it on a tarp, the bottom inch would be a slimy mess. If you're in town or have a HOA, my way may not be right for you. By a little high, I am a bit of a bumpkin, so I mean about four inches lol.

Drying it in rows first, I dump it out of the bins and spread it out to about a foot deep, if it rains or the dew is going to fall heavy , I have a couple 2x4s that I lean against the fence, then throw a tarp over, to keep air flow. I will turn the pile if it needs it, just until it is dry, the I just walk it down and weigh the tarp down with bricks. It doesn't take much to compress it where it is in such small pieces. I know I make it sound like a PITA, it really isn't that bad. From maybe a half acre, over a summer, it might be like buying 10-15 bales of hay and running them through your mulcher. The main reason I do it, I know what is on my garden.

Once it's dry you could bag it, but you're right it could start smoldering. Even really dry, I'd still leave the tops open on the lawn bags. Closed it could still sweat, condense, and then have a hot spot on bottom.

The fence I have for the 13x13 run is 6 foot tall 2x4 wire with bird netting on top. It can be moved if I want because all I did was pound some T-posts into the corners and wrapped the fencing around.
Ahhh, yes, now I remember!

If you have any ideas for winter accommodations, I'd love to hear.
They should have something IMO. Can be hard to provide sunshine and fresh air and exclude snow and wind. I shovel parts of the run...works for all but the most bitter and stormy days.

I let the back yard get a little high, hit it with the side discharge throwing into the uncut, and then right over the clippings about about three or four passes, then turn around and throw it back the other way one pass. Wind rowing basically, let it dry about 2 good windy warm days. Then pick up the wind rows with the bagger.
I do this windrowing too...kind of...discharge paths to spread it out and let it dry, sometimes I rake it up and sometimes I windrow it.No bagger on my rider...and not doing a lot of 'haying'.

I do this windrowing too...kind of...discharge paths to spread it out and let it dry, sometimes I rake it up and sometimes I windrow it.No bagger on my rider...and not doing a lot of 'haying'.

Save your seed sacks and use that for a bagger... you need to use the kind that is woven so the air can escape as the bag fills. When it wears out I just replace the bag. My favorite bag is the one the whole corn comes in. I'm at Spyder Palooza so I don't have a photo handy.

JT

We get an unbelievable amount of leaves. Last year both my neighbor and I put all of our leaves in the run. It was a huge pile. Most were whole leaves. They were probably two feet deep. In a pile 20x40'. I also add cut grass, vegetable table scraps, crushed egg shells. Today they are "gone". In a month i will shovel some of the result into the gardens.

The leaves will fall soon. Start all over.

Attachments

• JPEG_20190914_100257_7484644252934565816.jpg
    JPEG_20190914_100257_7484644252934565816.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom