chicken run converted into veg garden

maurer

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2016
Western Pennsylvania
Alright, so I have seen the threads about converting your garden into a chicken run. however, i would like to do the opposite, as my chickens are getting a bigger permanent run in the orchard we are planting. we are hoping to put the veg garden where the run currently is. the 20x10 foot spot has only been used as a run over this past the winter and I am wondering if we would need to let it rest for this season, or if we can till it and plant. our ground is mostly damp clay with a 3-6 inch level of topsoil and lots of rocks.

This is what I would do. Do you have a tiller, or access to a tiller? As soon as it's dry enough, I'd get in there and till it up, remove as many of the rocks as you can.

Then, I'd lay down a deep layer of mulch: second cut hay, straw, leaves, grass clippings. Aim for a layer that is at least 3" deep. You can then plant crops which will take a while to mature. I would not plant any short season crops there which you would eat "raw".

The general recommendation is that pathogens can survive in manure that has not been hot composted for any where from 120 days to a year. I am comfortable with the 120 day statement. By putting down a deep mulch, the risk of pathogen spread would be greatly decreased.

If this were my garden, I'd be comfortable planting squash, melon (be sure to wash it well before cutting it) tomatoes (preferably paste tomatoes which would be washed well before canning) pole beans (they get cooked before eating, and do not contact the ground the way bush beans do). I'd put any greens, cucumbers, root crops, and any other veggies which are typically consumed without cooking in an other area.

This is what I would do. Do you have a tiller or access to a tiller? As soon as it's dry enough, I'd get in there and till it up, remove as many of the rocks as you can.

Then, I'd lay down a deep layer of mulch: second cut hay, straw, leaves, grass clippings. Aim for a layer that is at least 3" deep. You can then plant crops which will take a while to mature. I would not plant any short season crops there which you would eat "raw".

The general recommendation is that pathogens can survive in manure that has not been hot composted for anywhere from 120 days to a year. I am comfortable with the 120-day statement. By putting down a deep mulch, the risk of pathogen spread would be greatly decreased.

If this were my garden, I'd be comfortable planting squash, melon (be sure to wash it well before cutting it) tomatoes (preferably paste tomatoes which would be washed well before canning) pole beans (they get cooked before eating, and do not contact the ground the way bush beans do). I'd put any greens, cucumbers, root crops, and any other veggies which are typically consumed without cooking in another area.
at the moment we have corn, pole beans, spaghetti squash, and chili peppers that will need planting, how do you think they will fair if we put the mulch and landscapers cloth down? (yes we have access to a tiller)

Personally, I'd avoid the landscaping cloth. I find that it creates more problems than it solves. Corn, pole beans and spag squash would be excellent in this area. I'd put the chili peppers elsewhere. You could even use cardboard under the mulch. place your cardboard in your paths and between plants, then cover all with a nice layer of mulch. Instant garden that is fertile, weed free, and will not require much if any water. Check out "hay or straw bale" gardening. This might be a great option for your greens and chili peppers. BTW, I hate, despise, absolutely detest landscaping cloth.

Is your former chicken run still covered where you plan to plant? I’m currently renovating my old run into a garden area as well. Mine has a clear corrugated roof and wire fence around info it for keeping out predators (now for the dogs to keep out), I figured it would be a good trellis for climbing vines. I’m worried about lack of rain and/or sun….thoughts? Will you be doing rows/raised beds? I’m curious of how you’re designing the space 😊
I appreciate the advice on this thread.

Is your former chicken run still covered where you plan to plant? I’m currently renovating my old run into a garden area as well. Mine has a clear corrugated roof and wire fence around info it for keeping out predators (now for the dogs to keep out), I figured it would be a good trellis for climbing vines. I’m worried about lack of rain and/or sun….thoughts? Will you be doing rows/raised beds? I’m curious of how you’re designing the space 😊
I appreciate the advice on this thread.
OP has not been active on BYC for 5 years, so unlikely to get a response.

Back
Top Bottom