Chicken run door getting stuck

s_table

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2020
Our chickens are digging around the run door so much that the dirt that gets kicked up around the door is causing it to get jammed and won’t close after opening. This isn’t a huge problem if the chickens didn’t then make a break for it and then I’m left chasing 8 chickens 🤪

Any suggestions on how to keep dirt out of this area?

I’ll attach a photo but not sure how much it’ll help

4F5961D3-E3C6-4A93-AA24-810BC8C86829.jpeg

Can you put a piece of wood across the inside of the door, assuming it opens to the outside? Then you have to remember it's there and step over it (ask me how I know this). Even 3" high will help.
We did have one there for a little bit but it wasn’t quite that big. It was trapping the dirt even more because it was then going over it and getting stuck then between the wood and the door. But again, it wasn’t quite that big so maybe that had something to do with it!!

This is what I did:
Thought I'd add this...
First I made the 'patio/threshold' in front of and under the door. They dug underneath it. So I added the row of bricks. They dug underneath it. So I added the 2x8x16" pavers on edge and anchored them in with rebar. That has worked well so far.
full

Instead of the board you had by the door, you could place stone or bricks there but make it wider than a board. This way if the flock kicks dirt into the bricks, you can sweep it off.

Back
Top Bottom