Chicken run floor...??

I wouldn't stand for or stand in mud and would start by dumping enough gravel to make the site drain. Build the coop on top of the gravel then add litter.

In most circumstances gravel is a bad option for a chicken run.

While it has it's place in solving severe mud problems (see this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-fix-a-muddy-run-chicken-coop.47807/), as a general rule it's more trouble than it's worth because the poop sifts down in, compacts like concrete, and reeks when wet. Also, it's hard on the chickens' feet and can contribute to bumblefoot.

Chunky wood chips are superior.

Choosing a well-drained site and using French drain, grass swales, diversion ditches, and other appropriate water-management is better than gravel.

About the wood chips......can this be freshly chipped trees (like right from a tree service or chipdrop?)
Yes but you might need to be careful about what kind of trees.. I know that's hard with the free stuff but some woods and plants are toxic to chickens. We flagged down the tree drop service right after they did our street because we knew it was all maple. Try to avoid cedar.

I tried sand in my run here in Portland. Had to sift it almost every day and still had tons of flies. Several of my chickens died while we had sand and then as soon as I switched to deep litter wood chips everything has been great. I haven't had to clean it at all really ( my coop and run are covered which keeps it dry- essential to the deep litter method) and my hens are healthy and happy. It keeps them warm in the winter, and gives them stuff to dig in - more bugs for them to eat. Sand was not fun for them at all.

Couple of things:
1. I agree that wood chips from a commercial tree guy are great.
2. I dump raked leaves in when I get them, the girls think it's enrichment.
3. If you call a commercial tree guy, he'll be glad to deliver a truck of chips (they have to pay to get rid of them and would love to dump a load for free.
4. I have been using aviation gas for all my small motors: chainsaw, chipper, tiller, weedwacker, etc. (100 octane and no ethanol (which messes up everything)). You need to find someone who will give you their "tail number" because the airports are not supposed to sell AV gas for anything but planes. (All my stuff starts readily in the spring or whenever I go to use it (and I save a fortune on tuneups.))

One other thing:
Anything that can be used to keep pests away (like cedar does to moths) is probably not a good thing to have around livestock. I'd avoid aromatics.
I ask the tree guys to bring me chips that are either from fruit trees or hardwoods.

BTW, chips will only last a few weeks. Between the rubbing of the chip (as the girls constantly dig in them looking for worms and grubs) and the composting effect of chips mixed with chicken poop, the chips break down faster than you'd expect.

Best chicken run floor...???
Trying to convince hubby that sand and rocks would drain well.
He's over the "dirt" turned into ""mudd"
I started with mulch that worked very well but switched to coarse sand at vets suggestion. Sand is silica (a desiccant) so dries out the poop. I clean the pen once or twice daily. Anything left dries up and get broken down. Rain that blows in under roof dries out quickly. I use coarse wood shavings inside coop.

Back
Top Bottom