Chicken run on pier blocks?

If you build a wider heavy base than just a cinder block you would get a way from digging .
I like what Zoo has done
@Steven Bussell do you live where frost heave is an issue?

Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-2_16-46-48.png

@Steven Bussell do you live where frost heave is an issue?
No sir... I live in the bay area in California. The weather here is almost perfect. Very few times do we see below 40's and high above 90's.
Your right I'll update my information after I take care of my ladies. Its the second thing I do after checking in here first when I get home :thumbsup:thumbsup

Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1866065

Thanks for the tip. I added my location which is New Hampshire. I just want tobuild an enclosed run on piers. The coop is already a prefab. Any advice is appreciated.
I was wondering about putting 4x4 laying on the ground and building up with 2x4 walls. So many options it's stressing me out like crazy

Thanks for the tip. I added my location which is New Hampshire. I just want tobuild an enclosed run on piers. The coop is already a prefab. Any advice is appreciated.
I was wondering about putting 4x4 laying on the ground and building up with 2x4 walls. So many options it's stressing me out like crazy

I know what you mean. It can all be very overwhelming. I drove myself crazy for months trying to figure out how to deal with my sloped site. Eventually, I had a flash of inspiration and just went with it. Keep at it, you will come up with something that will work within your means.

If I'd had a level site, I would have done exactly what you are describing ... treated 4x4s on the ground with 2x4 framed walls. I've seen a lot of runs with similar structure so I know it works. If it weren't for the freeze issues, I'd say go for it, but I honestly don't know how much of a problem that will be for you. Depending upon the type of soil at your build site, it might not even be an issue. Have you noticed if your ground tends to heave when it freezes?

If it does, I would expect that to be a factor even with posts sunk into the ground, so digging holes might not be any better anyway. In which case, you might as well go with one of your easier ideas. However, frost heave isn't a problem I've ever had to deal with, so I could be completely off track here.

I do know that people have been keeping chickens through harsh winters forever, so it's definitely doable. Makes me wonder if we are all overthinking this (something I am often guilty of). Hopefully someone else will pop in here who lives in a similar climate and can weigh in on what works and what doesn't. Or maybe you can check your local building codes and see what they recommend?

Don't sweat over it. Build what your comfortable with. Make it safe as you can. If you have bear's or high winds then you really need to make sure it cant be moved. Where I live we can get pretty high winds. I have a large solid roof over my coop and small area of my run.
Begin in Ca and have helped build homes in earthquake county it was a easy decision to over kill my build.
My coop was built to withstand a earthquake and 100 miles winds.
Sounds to me you are doing a great job on reaching.

I was asking @Steven Bussell where he lived, nice to know where the advice comes from....but @annasophiabee it's good you added your location to your profile too!

For the run I wouldn't worry about frost heave as much as I would a building(even a coop), especially if you have an anti-dig apron.
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

Back
Top Bottom