Chicken Run Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bullington, May 14, 2011.

1. bullington

bullington Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    We live out in the somewhat country and have our share of critters. Part of the coop we have built has an area outside for them to run around out in the dirt. My question is how far have you put the wire underground to deter any type of digging? I was thinking 12" or so? Thoughts?

2. guard278th

guard278th Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Rogersville Tn
    That's deep enough

3. bullington

bullington Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    K thanks. I'm also going to put a rock border around the outside also. Should slow them enough.

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I didn't bury any - I layed 12" of chicken wire flat on the ground around the coop at the bottom of the fence. Diggers are not smart enough to back up a foot. The grass in the yard quickly swallows the wire. After a couple months you cant even see it anymore.

Use galvanized wire though or it just rusts to nothing by the end of the first winter.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    The bottom part of my run fencing is plastic coated wire that I've buried about 6 inches and 12 inches above ground. The rest is standard "chicken wire" suspended from #9 galvanized wire strung post to post. Been working for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by