Chicken run

Spartyfan17

Chirping
May 13, 2018
Paw Paw, Mi
so this may have already been asked but we are using an old dog run for our chicken run. We plan on putting a net over top for bird predators. But I was wondering if we needed to wrap the fence in chicken wire? We only plan on keeping them in there during the day and at night they will be snuggled in their coop. Just trying to save some money if possible.

Thanks

You need to balance the risk with the cost and inconvenience. While practically all predators can be active during the day most are more of a risk at night. I've trapped raccoons in the middle of the day. I've seen bobcat, coyote, and fox out in the middle of the day. Still I've found a philosophy of predator-resistant run during daytime and locking them in a pretty predator-proof coop at night to be pretty effective.

It's possible but probably pretty unlikely that something will try to reach through during the day. If something does when the chickens are awake they will probably back away from the fence. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it is pretty unlikely.

How is that sitting on the ground? Can something dig under it or just squeeze through any gaps? You may be at a lot more danger from that than something reaching through. You might be better off putting an apron around it to stop critters from going under it than worrying about reach-through. You could get a 3' section of chicken wire and bend it so you have an 18" apron and an 18" section along the bottom covered to take care of both issues.

Since you are using netting over it, there are critters than can climb up and get through that at night, raccoons especially. You might really want to lock them in a secure coop at night so they don't sleep next to a fence and nothing climbing in can get them. Your management techniques can have a part to play in this also.

If you can wrap the bottom part w/ hardware cloth it would be safer so no daytime predators that can reach in and grab your chicken when they’re dust bathing or resting against the fence.

Depends on your local predators... put your location in your profile so we know your weather and other general things about your location. What predators do you have?

JT

I am using a repurposed dog run as well. We did not wrap the run and just left it as 2x4” wire, until birds started staying out at night because of the heat. A raccoon grabbed several through the wire and disemboweled them. I would go ahead and wrap it.

Back
Top Bottom