chicken run

irmad

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2013
UK
What can I use as a chicken run bedding, bark, pebbles or sand. Gets muddy in their. Any advise would be very helpful.

My run is on the spot where our kids playstructure was years ago. I dug it out with a tractor and put in 1 foot of sand. Chickens love it and it stays dry in all but the wetttest weather. It tends to smell a bit in the spring and I usually rototill it and that takes care of the problem. I think tilling it up help airate the sand and break down the smelly stuff.

What can I use as a chicken run bedding, bark, pebbles or sand. Gets muddy in their. Any advise would be very helpful.
We are planning to use sand when ours goes up this weekend. Lots of people on here use it and they explain it so well. They use it for various reasons, and they love it. So who am I to quibble? Lots of threads on here about the benefits of using sand....just type in "sand" in the search and grab something to drink - lots of good reading there.

Last edited:
Sand sounds good and its quite cheap. Was thinking of puting mulch or tree bark down.

Back
Top Bottom