1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    Hey,

I am preparing my coop and run for the chickens. Currently the height of the top of the run is only 2-3 ft. high. Would this be alright to keep chickens in? It is still long and wide enough, and gives them enough area, just not very high. Also, I plan to allow them a couple of hours a day of structured, supervised, free-run time, outside of the coop and run. What do you think?

Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My girls like a little room to jump. My run is about 5 ft high and I have a perch for them in one of the corners that they like to jump up on to survey the back yard.

3. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Our run is tall enough to stand in - but that's for my benefit when I clean it out!

~Phyllis

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My run is 4 ft high. Here are some old pictures. I move my coop and run, so I really don't go into it as I clean up the run area and their poop pit that's under the roosts when I move the coop and run.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  5. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    If you can build it a little high like 6' then do so,then you can go in the pen and clean it if you have too.
    Good Luck.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Mine is 6' high so I can walk around in there and clean up without stooping. Hubby is off the hook on that job, he's 6'4" [​IMG]

7. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Ours is close to 6' tall. This way we can get in there to change the water/feed and do general cleanup when need be.

8. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Our run is only about 5 feet tall, and I'm around 5' 8"... so to make it easier for me to access the run, we built portions of the top in sections that are on hinges for opening. I can raise the front of the top and prop it open while I clean, and can easily reach all areas of the run.

9. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    My run is only about 4 feet tall and it is sometimes frustrating not to be able to get in there so if you can I would make it taller. I can rake it out from the end that opens but that's about it. I'm already trying to figure out how to expand it...

10. HaleMoa

HaleMoa Out Of The Brooder

our run started off at 4 ft high and we talked ourselves into raising it up to 6 ft high for 2/3rds of it (leaving the last 3rd as a "quiet chicken spot" for the hens to have a place of their own) and we both agree, we're SO happy we decided to raise it up. if you can, i suggest making it higher, if not for the chickens than at least for your own poop raking sanity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by