Chicken saddle makers, please Help!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Two of Thor's favorite girls are now needing saddles. I made one saddle so far, to check it before I make any more. (see below)
I sewed them 7 1/2" long, 4" wide @ the top, and 8" wide @ the bottom.
To know how long to cut the elastic I measured one of my girls from the base of her neck centered then under the wing to where the side of the saddle would be on her back. I came up with 9", so I doubled that and then deducted 2" (allowing for the give in the elastic).
The saddle slides all over her back for a minute and then she shrugs it off.
What am I doing wrong? Do I need to cut the elastic smaller? Also, the elastic is free flowing thru the hem at the top. Do I need to anchor it so it doesn't slide back and forth.

TIA.

saddle002.jpg

I made ones with tail holes, so they fit very snuggly front to back, too. I only had one get it off, and she is my tiny production red hen. Hers was too big. I found they have to be quite a bit smaller then I originally thought to stay on. Here are what mine look like. You will have to scroll down. I think she had a great idea, they are sooo easy.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=167

I don't have a camera to show you mine, but they are almost just like ths. I also made them a little curvier, they are almost heart shaped, I found they were a little less obtrusive that way.

Yes, I agree with you -- I think your elastic is too long, causing it to slip off easily. Here is a link to how I make them for my hens:
http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/2009/03/pippys-new-polka-dot-vest.html

The buttons that you see are sewn to the elastic end, and then the button is slipped through a button hole on the saddle. While 1 layer of thin denim is nice, lining it with a second layer of thin denim is better. That way it has a bit more weight to hold it down under the hen's wings.

Quote:
They help protect the hen's backs from overly loving roo's.
wink.png

And, some feather picking, in my yard.

Yep, what Miss Daisy said. Some hens can become absolutely bald across their backs if they happen to be the roos favorites, as two of my hens are.
Yesterday I was talking to a neighbor who now has commercial broiler houses, but used to have the breeding houses. He said the roosters used in the breeding houses have their spur bumps and their "thumbs" (the toe that sticks out to the side) removed as day olds to prevent this problem. Such practices make the rooster almost defenseless against predators, which is why it wouldn't work for my free range flock.

Quote:
They help protect the hen's backs from overly loving roo's.
wink.png

And, some feather picking, in my yard.

Yep, what Miss Daisy said. Some hens can become absolutely bald across their backs if they happen to be the roos favorites, as two of my hens are.
Yesterday I was talking to a neighbor who now has commercial broiler houses, but used to have the breeding houses. He said the roosters used in the breeding houses have their spur bumps and their "thumbs" (the toe that sticks out to the side) removed as day olds to prevent this problem. Such practices make the rooster almost defenseless against predators, which is why it wouldn't work for my free range flock.

sad.png

Back
Top Bottom