chicken saddle

miss jay's mama

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
northeast PA
My poor pullets need saddles. I read somewhere on BYC on how to make them but I can't seem to find that thread. I would appreciate any advice on how to make one. I can't seem to figure out how they work by looking at pics of chickens wearing them. By the way I can' t sew soooo a no sew/little sew pattern would be awesome.

Last edited:
Here's a link to look at that was helpful to me.
smile.png
http://www.mbldesigns.com/chicken_aprons.html

Here i just whipped my 1st ones up tonight..took me about 1-1/2 hours to cut them off some old jeans and sew them up.. Cost paid $3 for 2 yards of elastic band and the material was free as well as my time. Plenty of elastic left to make about 20 more

Not real great with a sewing machine but i made some, however i ordered an overcasting foot for our machine to get way out on the edge to sew it better, but it worked OK with the regular foot. I cut the pattern from one we bought two years ago and then doubled two pieces of the jean material and sewed them together, then just added the elastic band to them..

Very easy to make for sure.. gonna get some camo and make some with the camo pattern..that was fun..much easier than i thought it would be..

478_my_1st_saddles_001.jpg

478_my_1st_saddles_002.jpg

Charlie

Last edited:
Duct tape..!!!!!
duc.gif
how in the heck do you get it back off them then?? id think you'd loose more feathers in the process. Sort of self plucking in a sense.. i know the old saying goes, if you cant fix it..duck it... oachhhh...
hit.gif

Charlie

OK I made a saddle using wilds of pa's design. It seemed to fit good BUT then Ginger(my lucky chicken who got to try this on) got hold of the elastic and started pulling on it. No big deal I figured she just needed to get use to it. Of course the others saw her and then they started pulling on the elastic. I was afraid Ginger might get her wing broke in the process so I took it of her. Did I make it to big????

I'm curious about the duct tape. How do you get it back off w/o hurting them??

No problems with ours, we have them on 4 of our girls, we put them on the these 4 girls first thing this morning..the rooster wasn't sure of his footing at first..but they all seemed very happy just before bed tonight....the ones i made are much easier to put on if there's two people to do it, one to hold the bird and the other to put them on.. I was going to make some with the snap close type, but we always had good luck with the sewn version of them..

Maybe try to make the band a bit smaller if it feels loose while you have it on a birds, and if two tight the birds will struggle to get them off.

Charlie

Last edited:
I just put a piece of duct tape across her where the feathers were comming out or none at all, after several weeks as her new feathers grew out the tape just fell off, honestly I never did find it.

Back
Top Bottom