Chicken Safety

starri33

Crowing
Feb 28, 2016
Golden Valley AZ
Has anyone tried using motion sensor lights as a deterrent for night time predators? our main issue is coyotes, so far knock on wood, I've not had a issue, current coop is close to the house and there are flashing Christmas lights on our dogs "run" that I turn on when I hear them close at night. But the new coop is going to be further from the house, There will be hardware cloth around the coop and the run.

My motion sensor light was only good at chasing off stray cats. As far as coyotes and coons, I don't think they even noticed it flicked on. I would not rely on that if I were you. The best coyote deterrents are my dogs and a gun, but respectively some people do not like that method.
Raccoons hate gunpowder, buy firecrackers and set them off near the coop and the sound and smell will keep them away temporarily.

My motion sensor light was only good at chasing off stray cats. As far as coyotes and coons, I don't think they even noticed it flicked on. I would not rely on that if I were you. The best coyote deterrents are my dogs and a gun, but respectively some people do not like that method.
Raccoons hate gunpowder, buy firecrackers and set them off near the coop and the sound and smell will keep them away temporarily.
Would love to use some fire crackers on them, but that will only work if I see them.. shooting a gun isn't allowed with in a 1/4 mile of a occupied building.. We have dogs, they bark at everything including the wind. Besides they are coyote snack sized. They will more than likely be safe, I do take every precaution that I can to keep them safe, just like to add layers of protection.

I have neighborhood coyotes. I cannot safely (or legally) use a firearm this close to other homes. I have motion lights on my coop. All said, we are in a similar situation. I do not count on the lights keeping the coyotes away, however, if I look out my window after dark and the light is on, I know something is lurking and I can investigate. Think of your lights as more of an alarm system than a deterrent. The best you can do is build a secure coop and run with larger/digging predators in mind.

Would love to use some fire crackers on them, but that will only work if I see them.. shooting a gun isn't allowed with in a 1/4 mile of a occupied building.. We have dogs, they bark at everything including the wind. Besides they are coyote snack sized. They will more than likely be safe, I do take every precaution that I can to keep them safe, just like to add layers of protection.
Actually no, I'll use them just after dark even if I dont see them and the smell lingers enough they stay away from it. Just avoid a pattern and dont use it every day or they'll figure it out.
I havent had a coon mess with a coop I've used firecrackers on. I put steel wool on the base of the coop outside to cut up their hands and mouth if they try digging around.

Actually no, I'll use them just after dark even if I dont see them and the smell lingers enough they stay away from it. Just avoid a pattern and dont use it every day or they'll figure it out.
I havent had a coon mess with a coop I've used firecrackers on. I put steel wool on the base of the coop outside to cut up their hands and mouth if they try digging around.
hadn't thought about the steel wool, thanks for the idea.. :) right now I have hardware cloth going about 6" out around the base of the run and the coop.. hoping to make whatever is trying to get a free chicken dinner have to work for it. The new coop will have a closing door on it, I think I will go ahead and get some motion sensors.

I have neighborhood coyotes. I cannot safely (or legally) use a firearm this close to other homes. I have motion lights on my coop. All said, we are in a similar situation. I do not count on the lights keeping the coyotes away, however, if I look out my window after dark and the light is on, I know something is lurking and I can investigate. Think of your lights as more of an alarm system than a deterrent. The best you can do is build a secure coop and run with larger/digging predators in mind.
Where our house is, is kinda out in the boonies, but I've got friends that have lost their entire flocks to coyotes and they are more in a urban setting.

I have solar lights around my run for dim lighting at night. I have motion activated lights on the roof of my house that shine directly onto my run and coop. I have motion activated solar lights on the fence around my coop. I have dogs who bark when anything is in the yard.
When the
Motion lights go on we get up to investigate. The lights just give me a better line of sight to shoot.
I think game cameras are the way to go. Lord only knows what critters go undetected or just become accustomed to the lights.
If we’re all sound asleep we’ll never know. So far we haven’t lost any chickens to a night time attack. I have however found evidence the next day and set traps.

Please forgive me if this sounds harsh, but if you did your part when building the coop, it doesn't matter if coyotes, foxes, coons, possums, skunks, bobcats or any and all others do come around at night......they won't be able to get in and the birds will be safe from all threats. It's the daytime you have to worry about.

For that.....it's an E fence.

Please forgive me if this sounds harsh, but if you did your part when building the coop, it doesn't matter if coyotes, foxes, coons, possums, skunks, bobcats or any and all others do come around at night......they won't be able to get in and the birds will be safe from all threats. It's the daytime you have to worry about.

For that.....it's an E fence.
No electric fence, but have hardware cloth for around the base.. had a hope that it would help.. :)

Back
Top Bottom