Chicken Scratch and Wild Bird seed--just an FYI what I found

ladyh

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2015
New Mexico
I went to the feed store to buy some "wild bird seed" to feed my Guinea fowl. I had never purchased wild bird seed and thought I'd try it. I open the package...It is exactly the same ingredients as Chicken scratch w/millet and seeds as Tractor Supply as a much lower price. The only difference was the wild bird seed had black sunflower seeds in it.. Wow the wild bird seed was $22 plus tax compared to TSC $8.99 for the scratch.

I feed my feathered friends year round. I also feed these seeds to my chickens. (please do not school me that I should limit their treats to 10% and the rest should be precessed chicken feed) I do have feed (Alflock) available to them all the time. If I get a few less eggs?????? BIG DEAL......:barnie MY CHICKENS ARE HAPPY AND THEY LET ME KNOW.:highfive: My chickens live LOOOOOONG LIVES. Last pet left after 11 years. Had my longest go for 13.
I stocked up on 240 pounds just last week.
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...466-c-7882.htm?tid=1830563977267883096&ipos=4
My price was actually even lower than link price in ad.
0308151630-00.jpg

2 more bags were in another cart. :frow
This will carry me thru Winter.
The scratch I also buy, but at Farm and Fleet, Is about 2/3 the price of Wild bird seed. It does not contain sunflower seeds. The wild bird do not really like that mix. I still keep it for my hens and use it in conjunction with the Bird seeds. I also do buy a 50 pound bag of Black sunflower seeds. I wait until it is promoted at about $20 per bag. I do mix it into my seed mixtures to increase quality. Bag lasts a long time that way. Give my squirrels those seeds as well.:)
Wild bird seeds and scratch do vary in the ingredients from one supplier to another. Good to read contents for self to know what you are buying. :thumbsup

I went to the feed store to buy some "wild bird seed" to feed my Guinea fowl. I had never purchased wild bird seed and thought I'd try it. I open the package...It is exactly the same ingredients as Chicken scratch w/millet and seeds as Tractor Supply as a much lower price. The only difference was the wild bird seed had black sunflower seeds in it.. Wow the wild bird seed was $22 plus tax compared to TSC $8.99 for the scratch.
I am confused TSC sells wild bird seed 35lbs for $8.99

I've read that wild bird seed is treated with some chemical(s) to keep it from germinating. For that reason I'm hesitant to give it to chickens.

The only difference was the wild bird seed had black sunflower seeds in it.. Wow the wild bird seed was $22 plus tax compared to TSC $8.99 for the scratch.
BOSS is expensive.
Carefully compare apples to apples(ingredients and weights) when price shopping.

Not true, only reason I say this is because of the birdseed garden that sprouts under the feeder. :)
Dry seeds will not sprout regardless. I keep my seeds DRY for 2 reasons. So they do not sprout... And so there is no mold forming. Have been using seeds to feed my chickens for 20 + years and for my wild birds for 15 more. If they were treated by some EVIL DEMON, I would have experienced fatalities all along.
Yes, I do encounter sprouting under the feeder in the Springtime. Some of the fallen seeds do sprout. The birds do pick on those plants as fodder.

Yes indeed it is very important to keep them dry. And as you say any that do sprout don't last long. Here the chipmunks like to steal seeds and plant them in my flower pots to start sprouts for themselves, smart little things. :)
Dry seeds will not sprout regardless. I keep my seeds DRY for 2 reasons. So they do not sprout... And so there is no mold forming. Have been using seeds to feed my chickens for 20 + years and for my wild birds for 15 more. If they were treated by some EVIL DEMON, I would have experienced fatalities all along.
Yes, I do encounter sprouting under the feeder in the Springtime. Some of the fallen seeds do sprout. The birds do pick on those plants as fodder.

Back
Top Bottom