Chicken scratch vs. chicken feed

Scratch is a mix of cracked grains. In the past it was a way to use surplus or spoiled grains tha might otherwise be unusable.
When purchased commercially, it usually consists of wheat, corn, oats, sunflower seeds, millet and various other seeds.
It is NOT complete nutrition. It keeps them busy and feeds their need for such energy foods as found in grains. It is ground coarse, to a size preferred by chickens.

For complete nutrition you must feed an all around poultry ration, either one you make yourself or purchase commercially. The commercial feeds have wheat, corn, soya, fish or protein meal, vitamain/mineral fortifiers, binders and really do offer a complete meal.

I didn't know scratch was a treat. My poor cochin.. no wonder she is no bigger than a hummingbird!

what is it called for an all around food exactly? would it be just that?

Quote:
What size bags are those prices for???

thanks!

Also why shouldn't scratch be fed in hot weather?

50lbs. Corn causes the chicken to heat up. Great for cold winter nights!

you can probably get away with mixing layer and meat or starter/grower.

The feed I buy has the following breakdown:

layer 16% protein
starter/grower 20% protein
meat 21% protein
scratch is about 8% protein

most go to layer only for the hens because of the additional calcium, which roos have no use for, can cause kidney issues.

Definately stay away from the scratch or generic grain feeds. Fine for a treat now and then but certainly not acceptible for everyday feed. The nutional value just isn't there. Rabbit feed can also be given as a treat.

Something else I saw today was Game Bird feed; 26% protein. Woah!

Quote:
50lbs. Corn causes the chicken to heat up. Great for cold winter nights!

Fullhouse is right..........its all carbs and the body has too work too hard to break it down, which heats up the body and many people lose birds in the hot summer because they are un-aware of it and feed scratch. But in winter they need the extra warmth so keep it handy.

Once again, this is INCORRECT. The carbohydrates in corn are starches are are very digestible in monogastricis (Poultry and Pigs).

The reason nutritionists (of which I am one) change diets from summer to winter is to account for the reduced feed intake during summer months due to heat stress. The difference is typically high fat content during the summer to maintain energy intake.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom