Chicken scratch vs. chicken feed

Quote:
I feed a general poultry feed. I offer oyster shell as a side for the girls who want it. Works for me - I have only one rooster, but 5 babies/youngsters not laying yet - so a general keeps everyone happy.....

Quote:
I mixed a bag of wild bird seed and fruit with a bag of sunflower seeds, I also found a bag of seeds that had all been shelled - less mess or something - so I threw that in as well... they love it, the little babies get to eat up all the tiny seeds, and the big girls eat the big stuff - there are even a few peanuts in the mix, my momma hen goes for those first! she gobbles them up as fast as she can!

Quote:
50lbs. Corn causes the chicken to heat up. Great for cold winter nights!

Fullhouse is right..........its all carbs and the body has too work too hard to break it down, which heats up the body and many people lose birds in the hot summer because they are un-aware of it and feed scratch. But in winter they need the extra warmth so keep it handy.

Once again, this is INCORRECT. The carbohydrates in corn are starches are are very digestible in monogastricis (Poultry and Pigs).

The reason nutritionists (of which I am one) change diets from summer to winter is to account for the reduced feed intake during summer months due to heat stress. The difference is typically high fat content during the summer to maintain energy intake.

Jim

Jim is right, I've tried to explain that here before, but the common wisdom is that corn generates body heat.

Corn is referred to as a "hot" feed because compared pound for pound with other grains it's caloric content is higher. People then mistakenly think that translates to extra body heat. It's not the calories that produce body heat, it's the fiber content. Corn digests rather readily and does not produce the heat that other high fiber ingredients do.

You offer more feed in the winter because they birds burn more calories staying warm?? is that a true statement?

Yes, because they eat more to do so.​

What do you think about Game Feed. It is mixed special here for people raising Game cocks. I have been using it for the treats for my hens. They get layer feed in their feeders all day long. They love the Game Feed. They know when I open that bin and all clamor to get to the feed. It is beautiful to look at.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom