Chicken Scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sharon Bee, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Sharon Bee

Sharon Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Ontario
    Hi: I am just wondering how much chicken scratch I should feed my 11 chicks who are now almost 5 months old now. I throw them a few handfulls in the morning and then later in the afternoon as they look to me for more when I come into their coop and run. Is this too much?

I am getting about 6 to 7 eggs now per day! yeaaaaa.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If you feed a commercial food, generally they say that treats should not exceed 10% of the diet so you don't unbalance it too much, and most treats like scratch tend to be lower in protein than their regular food. Most Layer is around 16%. If they free range or you feed a higher protein % food you maybe able to get away with more. Sounds like they are laying nicely for you already.

3. Sharon Bee

Sharon Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Ontario
    I'm feeding them layer food now. I also throw in some grass for them to scratch. We don't have a good setup for them outside yet. My husband has to make fence higher with a netting over top so they can't fly out. I have a little run inside the carriage house for them and they seem to stay in which leads to their coop inside the carriage house. Once in awhile i find one outside of the fence and she is usually anxious to get back in with the others.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Scratch is more of a treat or a winter addition. You don't need to feed it to them unless you want to when you have them on a good layer feed.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by