Chicken screaming at all hours for no reason?

Aussiechickener

Chirping
Mar 3, 2020
So one of my girls (a frizzle bantam Sussex about 1.5 years old) has always been pretty vocal and she likes to yell at you if she wants something. However the last couple weeks she's been screaming for no reason, often very early in the morning (although she'll do it at all hours of the day) which is starting to annoy my roommates and probably my neighbours. She especially likes to sit outside my roommates window and scream.

She has full access to food and water and is free range with an automatic door, and she still screams even after her morning scratch so I don't think its related to her wanting anything. None of my other girls do this so I don't think its predator related either. She's also middle of the pecking order so I don't think she's trying to be a rooster. I do have some new girls that are around her level of the pecking order. Could she be trying to assert dominance in some way? Although she does seem to do it wether they are around her or not.

I've taken to spraying her with water in an attempt to get her to stop but if anyone has any other suggestions it would be much appreciated.

I will try and get a recording of the noise tomorrow if that helps anyone.

Last edited:
Most often, when a hen is persistently and loudly vocal, it means she feels the urge to lay an egg but is temporarily undecided about when to head for a nest.

It can be tediously annoying. About the only solution I would employ is to pick her up and deposit her on a nest, if possible one you know she is in a habit of using. This will only resolve the noise problem if she's ready to lay an egg and then it would be temporary until she feels the urge to lay again.

You do have an outside chance that this repetition of sticking her in a nest as soon as she begins this vocalizing will establish in her mind to head for a nest as soon as she feels this urge. If you have the time for this, it could work. But then, you are dealing with a chicken who very likely enjoys the sound of her own very loud voice. I wish you luck.

Hello! My barred rock just started making the same loud squawking noise. First thought it was because one of her sister hens died, but that was 3 weeks ago. It’s all day long even after she lays her egg. I’ve tried everything to get her to stop. I built a new roost, more toys with scratch, piles of leaves to dig in.... The only thing that makes her quiet down is if I sit in the yard with her. I don’t want to rehome her, however my neighbors are getting annoyed. I also don’t want to let this go if she’s in pain or I’m missing something.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, your soundtrack made me smile and laugh!
She may just be a chicken with a more talkative and vocal personality.
I had a hen named Cocoa that was like this. I always knew where she was. At night when gathering eggs and locking the coop I would say " Hey Cocoa, you in here?" And she would answer with what I perceive as a greeting and a complete recap of her day....
You may have to find a new home for your girl.

So one of my girls (a frizzle bantam Sussex about 1.5 years old) has always been pretty vocal and she likes to yell at you if she wants something. However the last couple weeks she's been screaming for no reason, often very early in the morning (although she'll do it at all hours of the day) which is starting to annoy my roommates and probably my neighbours. She especially likes to sit outside my roommates window and scream.

She has full access to food and water and is free range with an automatic door, and she still screams even after her morning scratch so I don't think its related to her wanting anything. None of my other girls do this so I don't think its predator related either. She's also middle of the pecking order so I don't think she's trying to be a rooster. I do have some new girls that are around her level of the pecking order. Could she be trying to assert dominance in some way? Although she does seem to do it wether they are around her or not.

I've taken to spraying her with water in an attempt to get her to stop but if anyone has any other suggestions it would be much appreciated.

I will try and get a recording of the noise tomorrow if that helps anyone.
I have the same thing with only one of my chickens and she’s top pecking order the others are so quiet but today I let them out early since I’m off work and she ran around the yard screeching. Neighbors to the right of me are psycho hate all animals we all have minimum 1/2 acre lot but she is the loudest, louder than the roosters I had. I cleaned the coop and nest box I have a good size enclosed run 14x10 fresh food water daily , they have ladders, mud pile, leave pile ect . It’s exhausting sometimes and now my husband is complaining which really sucks. Next step is to redo the whole coop and place a shed for them to have more indoor space and more nesting areas.

If my chickens don't see me outside working in the yard they'll sometimes scream. Sometimes my barred rock will scream for hrs Sounds like you've got a very spoiled chicken.
Yes mine is the same and she sees me in the windows or hears the garage open or the dogs bark and start yelling . She was always kinda mouthy but lately she’s been just extra.

Most often, when a hen is persistently and loudly vocal, it means she feels the urge to lay an egg but is temporarily undecided about when to head for a nest.

It can be tediously annoying. About the only solution I would employ is to pick her up and deposit her on a nest, if possible one you know she is in a habit of using. This will only resolve the noise problem if she's ready to lay an egg and then it would be temporary until she feels the urge to lay again.

You do have an outside chance that this repetition of sticking her in a nest as soon as she begins this vocalizing will establish in her mind to head for a nest as soon as she feels this urge. If you have the time for this, it could work. But then, you are dealing with a chicken who very likely enjoys the sound of her own very loud voice. I wish you luck.
I agree with your post about being vocal when trying to lay. My bantam Cochin started laying again after being broody for a while this summer and I put her in the nesting boxes back and forth and it helps a little but yes I think that they are more vocal when trying to lay.

Back
Top Bottom