Chicken screams when I touch them

She has a sweet side too. She jumps on my lap and makes cute chirping sounds. She also lets me pet her and she’s adorable
"I’ve got this Wyandotte and wellsummer mix and she’s rude. She pecks me and goes broody. She also screams when I touch her. She’s the Lowest of the pecking order.. she also attacks me.."

Your chicken is aggressive and demanding attention. Sounds like she's accepted you as a member of her flock and enjoys bossing you around to show you who's boss. Maybe a little less hand treats and a little less running from her would help.Keep her away from the face...

My SLW is very skittish. After the latest SLW thread, I'm starting to think it's a breed trait. Mine does not bite out of fear, but she does not want to be touched and it doesn't keep her from coming near me, but she's always ready to bolt if I reach for her.

For a while, I would come baring treats. Never pull away from a bite and don't back off if she gets pushy. You can give her a sharp poke between the shoulders when she's being nasty to get the point across that you don't like it. That or a short tug on her neck feathers. That's what a roo or other hen would do.

She has a sweet side too. She jumps on my lap and makes cute chirping sounds. She also lets me pet her and she’s adorable
I really don't understand your post. Sorry...you have conflicting stories and when someone tells you they'd say bye bye, you disagree, so perhaps you just adjust. Wear armor when near her and live and let live. Happy days.

I really don't understand your post. Sorry...you have conflicting stories and when someone tells you they'd say bye bye, you disagree, so perhaps you just adjust. Wear armor when near her and live and let live. Happy days.
She was just broody I think .. but shes not always like that

I adopted my hens as grown-ups and for a were pretty much feral. Getting near them was difficult. I gave them space and didn't touch when they exhibited 'I am afraid of you' body language. Gradually I got one who was affectionate and I walked around with her in my arms while the others watched. Then I made sure the breakfast mash was brought out after they had been in the run for a little while (so they have to run towards me for it), and now they think of me as the snack lady. Not as affectionate as the ones I raised from day-old, but since they free-range I kind of like that they are a little skiddish.
there was some biting, but that was when we didn't know each other. The ones at the bottom of the pecking order are always nervous and harder to tame. Once in a while I will put one of them in the 'hospital' room and give her egg yolks and first dibs on any food scraps. That makes they come to me more, otherwise the bottom girls are the hardest to tame.
normally (in my case) it is because she is not getting enough of the best snacks that she is in a bad mood. Give her special treats before the others, she is feeling that you love the others more

make her your special girl... she needs a friend (especially one with access to snacks ;) )

She sounds like a little terror. Hens can be like people - and have a mean streak in them. I would just leave her alone. Don`t try to pick her up or go near her. Don`t throw her treats. As long as she is a good layer - let her live life on her terms. Wear hard boots when you are in the run - if she pecks - gently lift and push her away with your boot. Has worked for me in the past. :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom