Chicken screams when I touch them

I adopted my hens as grown-ups and for a were pretty much feral. Getting near them was difficult. I gave them space and didn't touch when they exhibited 'I am afraid of you' body language. Gradually I got one who was affectionate and I walked around with her in my arms while the others watched. Then I made sure the breakfast mash was brought out after they had been in the run for a little while (so they have to run towards me for it), and now they think of me as the snack lady. Not as affectionate as the ones I raised from day-old, but since they free-range I kind of like that they are a little skiddish.
there was some biting, but that was when we didn't know each other. The ones at the bottom of the pecking order are always nervous and harder to tame. Once in a while I will put one of them in the 'hospital' room and give her egg yolks and first dibs on any food scraps. That makes they come to me more, otherwise the bottom girls are the hardest to tame.
normally (in my case) it is because she is not getting enough of the best snacks that she is in a bad mood. Give her special treats before the others, she is feeling that you love the others more

make her your special girl... she needs a friend (especially one with access to snacks ;) )
She secretly likes cuddles but too shy to come

You know it's funny, I have had my chickens for over a year now. I thought, oh wow, they know me, like me, and want to "hang out with me" nope lol. They know me as the "food giver" and will still freak out when I move too quickly or rake the coop area or even put a piece of watermelon rind down for them. There is no rhyme or reason why they "freak out" or run around like nutburgers. Some days they look like they like me and want to come near me and other days they are like, who is this thing with the watermelon rind lol. They are goofy and I guess don't expect much from them. I have raised them since they were chicks, handled them quite a bit but as much as I love them, there is not much going on upstairs.

You know it's funny, I have had my chickens for over a year now. I thought, oh wow, they know me, like me, and want to "hang out with me" nope lol. They know me as the "food giver" and will still freak out when I move too quickly or rake the coop area or even put a piece of watermelon rind down for them. There is no rhyme or reason why they "freak out" or run around like nutburgers. Some days they look like they like me and want to come near me and other days they are like, who is this thing with the watermelon rind lol. They are goofy and I guess don't expect much from them. I have raised them since they were chicks, handled them quite a bit but as much as I love them, there is not much going on upstairs.
They are prey animals, and they are just about smart enough to be chickens.

They are prey animals, and they are just about smart enough to be chickens.
Thats a good way to put it! I want to give them more credit, but they do what they need to do to survive and live. I just try to give them a good life but I don't expect much out of them. My RIR will come up to me and is so curious, I keep thinking, oh this one is smart, nope lol. She is just a bit braver than the others. Today, I was cleaning out the run and they were freaking out like they never saw me before, then they calmed down and remembered that I was the one that gave them treats. I really love having chickens, but I think the key is to just accept them for what they are and enjoy them for the same.

Thats a good way to put it! I want to give them more credit, but they do what they need to do to survive and live. I just try to give them a good life but I don't expect much out of them. My RIR will come up to me and is so curious, I keep thinking, oh this one is smart, nope lol. She is just a bit braver than the others. Today, I was cleaning out the run and they were freaking out like they never saw me before, then they calmed down and remembered that I was the one that gave them treats. I really love having chickens, but I think the key is to just accept them for what they are and enjoy them for the same.
I have an EE that i call "Friendly." Since she was a tiny chick, she has always come up close and peered at me as if I am the most fascinating creature on the planet. I do not know if she is just curious or doesn't see well or what but it is very engaging. She does not want to be picked up, however. I make a game of it and tell her the daily news, as if she is a reporter and wants the daily report. :gigIt amuses me.

I don't get out much.

She’s just a grumpy hen. Learn to live with it. You’re gaining experience . should we kill what we don’t like? I’m a grumpy grandmother. My kids don’t want to kill me they just bring me a cup of tea.bring her some treats especially for her and she will love you.

I have an EE that i call "Friendly." Since she was a tiny chick, she has always come up close and peered at me as if I am the most fascinating creature on the planet. I do not know if she is just curious or doesn't see well or what but it is very engaging. She does not want to be picked up, however. I make a game of it and tell her the daily news, as if she is a reporter and wants the daily report. :gigIt amuses me.

I don't get out much.
Lol, yea, I don't get out much either!

Early at feeding time in the morning,

I regularly put problem hens on my lap and keep a 5 gallon bucket lid with a handful of our special feedstocks mix in front of them.

I keep a hand in front of their chest to prevent escape.

as they pick out their favorite foods, I pet their back and talk chicken.

it is amazing how docile they become.

they revert back if I don’t continue our therapy together!

Back
Top Bottom