Chicken seem intoxicated

Blessedwithhens

Songster
Feb 21, 2021
Help my chicken seems intoxicated! At about midnight She waswobbly in her feet and nearly falling over. We heard a lot of feather ruffling in the coop so went to check and she was nearly falling off her roost. Put her on floor, very unstable. Left foot seems to want to curl up or stretch out. My other two chickens have been ill this week too- 1 crop not emptying other reproductive issues. Also two-3 thin shelled eggs this week. I think there’s something wrong with the food possibly. Possible mold intoxication? I’ve been giving them mash- wet pellets to entice eating. lots of flys from this too in the food. What should I do right now with my girl who has diarrhea and can’t seems intoxicated? I gave her vitamins water and electrolytes, she was alert and cooperative not distressed but slight panting- it was 80 degrees.
Should I take her to animal ER? She is laying on the floor on a rug on her belly now, peaceful like she’s tired, not distressed. Doesn’t want to stand but wants to sleep, head in normal sleeping posture not drooping. It is 330am.

She is behaving like her normal self today after the vitamins electrolytes and water last night. Could that have been it? Do symptoms of Marecks persist one present or can they come and go?!

She could have been just dehydrated, or feeling lousy for some reason. I would go around and make sure there is no mold seen, and check your feed for any off odor or color. I have found mold overnight in a can of scratch before, and if any water drops got spilled in feed. The chickens will spills some around the coop and run, and if mold is seen during wet conditions, you would just need to remove it.

Chickens whose shell glands are not working or if they are calcium deficient may also feel weak or poorly. I would give her a human calcium tablet for a few days to see if the egg shells become more hard. A soft or shell-less egg is more likely to cause egg binding or break inside.

She could have been just dehydrated, or feeling lousy for some reason. I would go around and make sure there is no mold seen, and check your feed for any off odor or color. I have found mold overnight in a can of scratch before, and if any water drops got spilled in feed. The chickens will spills some around the coop and run, and if mold is seen during wet conditions, you would just need to remove it.

Chickens whose shell glands are not working or if they are calcium deficient may also feel weak or poorly. I would give her a human calcium tablet for a few days to see if the egg shells become more hard. A soft or shell-less egg is more likely to cause egg binding or break inside.
Thank you so much. I hope it was just dehydration. It seems the vitamins, electrolytes and/or water helped. Hen is behaving as her usual self today!!!!! I cleaned up the yard, feeders, water dishes and coop today to cover more bases and bought a different food and am offering both old and new in separate dishes so they can choose. Thank you for all your advice! Glad my Babe was feeling better today!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much. I hope it was just dehydration. It seems the vitamins, electrolytes and/or water helped. Hen is behaving as her usual self today!!!!! I cleaned up the yard, feeders, water dishes and coop today to cover more bases and bought a different food and am offering both old and new in separate dishes so they can choose. Thank you for all your advice! Glad my Babe was feeling better today!
And yes! Ground up (Sundown Naturals) Human calcium tablets and oyster shells are and were already being given to them for calcium :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom