Chicken seems dazed and won't eat

madditremaine

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 30, 2014
Lyles Tennessee
I have a hen, she's about 4-4 1/2 months old. She's had labored breathing, when she clucks (or squacks) it sounds like she's got gunk in her throat. I'm really worried. Her crop is completely empty but she won't eat. She won't drink anything, either. I tried putting her in isolation but it only made it worse. She seems dazed. Like she's sick. I don't understand it. Please help! She hasn't started losing feathers, but I think it'll be soon unless I can figure out whats wrong. She's an Americauna/Rhode Island Red cross. Thanks!

Does she wheeze or can you hear a click when she breathes? I'm leaning towards respiratory infection. Do you have any tylan 50? It's an injectable antibiotic specific for respiratory infections although I believe some people give it orally. They usually have it at the feed stores, Tractor supply will have it if you are close to one. You can do a google search to find the dosage. If you give it as an injection, make sure there is no air in the syringe, find a meaty area in between her shoulder blades and inject it at an angle just under the skin. It might look like a bubble under the skin, but it will absorb.

If she won't drink, you might want to try to drip some water onto her beak at the corners. I don't like to actually put it in their mouth because they can aspirate easily, which could make things worse.

I know it might seem stressful, but you need to separate her from the rest of the flock. If whatever she has is contagious, the rest of the flock could contract it as well.

She has really heavy breathing, (Yes, wheezing.) I'm living with my sister, and she said that it may be because of changing their feed to fermented. She said she thought those were the signs of drunkenness. I thought that was funny. I called a vet who said I should try antibiotics. I'll be looking into it. Thanks! I'll look for those antibiotics. :)

Back
Top Bottom