Chicken Sick - Eyes Closed - Poor Ballance

ReadyRen

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Our little girl Daisy seems to be sick. She started closing her eyes this morning, and this evening she doesn't really open them unless she is startled. Her eyes look normal but a little red around the edges. She also appears to have lost weight over the last few days. Normally she runs away whenever we try to catch her (eg changing bedding), she didn't even move away and seemed comforted by petting.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Easter Egger, 10-12 weeks, ~1lb

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is leaving her eyes closed, and isn't eating or drinking, also doesn't seem to have good balance.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
A couple of days ago she started being less aggressive with eating, then yesterday evening she started closing her eyes, this evening she is leaving them mostly closed.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
She is the only one of our six girls

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No sign of trauma

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
All the girls are from about 8-12 weeks old so they seem to be working on establishing a pecking order. Daisy was the largest, but she has lost weight over the last few days.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
A little over a week ago we changed from the food we were sent home with to Purina Start & Grow

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
It seems normal, we have not noticed any red, or runny poop.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Tried getting her to eat some scrambled eggs or drink some water but she refused, we also quarantined her from the other girls.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Has to be self treatment, no funds for a vet.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
See Below

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Currently girls are kept in a large dog cage with a bedding of pine pellets changed every 2-3 days.

89547_daisy_sick_1.jpg

89547_daisy_sick_2.jpg

Her face is very pale and I fear she's dying. Sorry to say that, but she just looks on the verge.
I would immediately try a cocci treatment. It's hard to know what's going on but certainly anemia in a young bird is very very often cocci.
sad.png

So sorry about your little bird, I hope she makes it.

Daisy's Scat - I don't see any blood or anything that would suggest Cocci but I'm a complete noob about such. None of our other girls are showing any symptoms, they are all very active and healthy looking.
89547_daisy_sick_3.jpg

89547_daisy_sick_4.jpg

89547_daisy_sick_5.jpg

Daisy didn't touch the Scrambled eggs we made for her.
89547_daisy_sick_6.jpg

she is still keeping her eyes closed.
89547_daisy_sick_7.jpg

Her feet look pretty much like they always have.
89547_daisy_sick_8.jpg

I really hope there is something we can do. Is there any way to get her to eat and drink?

Last edited:
Have you tried any antibiotics? I did not have luck with powder in water,but suprisingly I can give them big pills easily. I had an EE rooster that was 16 weeks old when he started to act as sdid. Sadly he did not make it,but back then I did not give pills.Hope you can saved the little one.

Is she still the same? It won't hurt to treat for cocci, just dribble the stuff on her lower beak (don't be tempted to force it into her mouth). She should swallow drop by drop. It may not help but as I say, won't hurt (and could be the problem). Cocci doesn't always show up as blood in the droppings.

The paleness is really worrying me. She may have something else wrong internally but apart from keeping her calm and quiet there's not a lot you could do if there's an internal bleed or something like that. If you could keep dribbling water (maybe with a little honey, don't use vitamins if you're treating for cocci) on her lower beak she might have a chance.

If you could make up a firm mash and feed it pellet by pellet (rolled oats, grated carrot and yoghurt can be good) it may also help... It's so hard to know.
sad.png

I got her to eat a few bits of the medicated starter feed we have her on. She also will sip a little water a couple times when I bring it to her beak. Her eyes still are staying closed. It seemed like this morning she had more energy but by this evening it was all gone, and she was very lethargic. Poor girl.

I've noticed a few girls have started sneezing I think. It might be a cough too, don't really know. They all have plenty of energy and keep their eyes open looking for a treat.

She probably isn't as pale as the picture looks. I had to use flash to get a clear picture and it white balanced a bit too much. I'm not certain where I can get some cocci meds at. If you guys think it will be safe for them and not make them weaker I will give it a try.

Poor girls, I stayed up late last night watching Daisy trying to comfort her as much as I can.

If you figure out what this is, please let me know.

I have been battling this for 1 1/2 weeks. Gave Corid, and now sulmet.
Yesterday morning a chick that had not shown the closed eyes was dead.
I decided to 'cull' the two that had been being treated for over a week and not showing improvement.
Last night a 4th chick was laying down and couldnt get up. Culled it too.

I DID have bloody poop for a couple of days before the treatment.

this all started when I brought in 7 new chicks from a local breeder. One chick had droopy wings and I didnt say anything to the breeder. Didnt want her to feel uncomfortable.

I have same thing with one of my 1 1/2 week old chicks. very lethargic, wont stand, eat or drink. Seemed perfect yesterday morning, yesterday evening I noticed the condition. I have tried vitamins and electrolyte water but her condition worsened overnight. I hope we can figure this out. should I isolate the bird frome the other 3 chicks?

Back
Top Bottom