Chicken sleeping on floor- all of a sudden

LJ33

Songster
7 Years
Jul 7, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I have 6 various laying breeds. They are 8 months old and have been living in their coop since May. I have noticed in the last few weeks that one of my girls has now started sleeping on the floor. I know she used to roost bc I've checked periodically over the summer. There is plenty of room on the roost, so really not sure why she has decided to start sleeping on the floor.

Should I be concerned? I will put her on the roost tonight and see if she stays. Just curious for feedback. thanks.

I have 6 various laying breeds. They are 8 months old and have been living in their coop since May. I have noticed in the last few weeks that one of my girls has now started sleeping on the floor. I know she used to roost bc I've checked periodically over the summer. There is plenty of room on the roost, so really not sure why she has decided to start sleeping on the floor.

Should I be concerned? I will put her on the roost tonight and see if she stays. Just curious for feedback. thanks.
Maybe the other girls have started pushing and shobbing to fit more comfortable. She just decided not to fight for her spot anymore. LOL

How is she behaving during the day?
Is she puffed up and lethargic?
Or is she still eating, drinking and otherwise acting okay?

Maybe the other girls have started pushing and shobbing to fit more comfortable. She just decided not to fight for her spot anymore. LOL
That is what I am wondering. My coop is 6ft X 4ft and 5 Ft tall. I have room to add a second roost.

Update/

after adding 2 more feet of Roost, Rhona still doesn't want to go up there. I got home after dark last night, so when I went to gather eggs, there she was on the floor. I put her on the roost bar, but not sure if she stayed up there.

I am going to build a better ramp/ladder for them to get on the roost and see if that helps.

I can't force her to be on the roost. There is plenty of room. Are there any health concerns with her floor sleeping preference?

Back
Top Bottom