chicken sling questions

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
so my chicken is having leg issues, paralysis? not sure as she can still move her legs and feet. But she can't lay on her belly normally anymore since her legs push out in front of her and she can't stand.

So I made her a sling where she can reach the bottom so she can work on her muscle strength still by pushing on her legs and moving them a bit. She sits in it in order to be able to eat or drink since if she isn't in it she ends up on her side with her legs out in front of her belly so can't eat or drink. I have tried making a pillow with a towel and she stretches her legs and ends up pushing herself out of it backwards then goes to her side.

My main questions are how much is too much to be in it? I try to take her out of it a bunch of times during the day but as I said if she isn't in it she just lays on her side. Is it better to only have her in the sling for a couple hours a day and laying on her side the rest of the time? Should I have a couple slings 1 that she can touch to work on her muscles and one that she can't to rest her legs? I don't want to do more harm than good but I don't see how just laying on her side in an awkward position is comfortable or good for her.

I cannot really tell you exactly how much time she should spend in the sling touching or not touching the ground, or how much time out of the sling. You will be the best judge. Some chickens will not tolerate slings, and will try to kill themselves getting out of them. They do need periods of time out of the sling to rest and to stretch out and to sleep. Pitcures of your sling would be helpful to others that make them. Here is a good link and video of sling chairs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Was your chicken vaccinated for Mareks disease? Has her back always appeared normal? Some chickens can suffer from skeletal deformities that can eventually cause spinal nerve pressure and cause them to sit with legs pointed to the front. Paralysis of the legs eventually happens. It would,be good to figure out what might have caused her leg problems. Injuries from mating or falls, tumors, all could be possible.

Was your chicken vaccinated for Mareks disease? Has her back always appeared normal? Some chickens can suffer from skeletal deformities that can eventually cause spinal nerve pressure and cause them to sit with legs pointed to the front. Paralysis of the legs eventually happens. It would,be good to figure out what might have caused her leg problems. Injuries from mating or falls, tumors, all could be possible.
she was vaccinated for Mareks, she is 8 weeks old it started at 7 weeks (I have a list of what happened on my thread about getting meds in), her back seems and had seemed normal from when I got her at a day old. didn't seem to be a fall or an injury since it started slow. trying to figure out what it is.

She seems to like the sling and tolerates it well. She did get out when the other chicks ran one time and I think she tried to go with them. But she seems to do well now with it. I take her out every couple hours for about a half our and then she isn't in it from about 8pm till 7am as well.

I will post a pic of her in the sling and try to get one of just the sling without her in it today.

Taco at her buffet in the sling

Attachments

• IMG_20210601_130740910.jpg
    IMG_20210601_130740910.jpg
    814.9 KB · Views: 56
she was vaccinated for Mareks, she is 8 weeks old it started at 7 weeks (I have a list of what happened on my thread about getting meds in), her back seems and had seemed normal from when I got her at a day old. didn't seem to be a fall or an injury since it started slow. trying to figure out what it is.

She seems to like the sling and tolerates it well. She did get out when the other chicks ran one time and I think she tried to go with them. But she seems to do well now with it. I take her out every couple hours for about a half our and then she isn't in it from about 8pm till 7am as well.

I will post a pic of her in the sling and try to get one of just the sling without her in it today.
It could be botulism caused by rotten or moldy food. It starts as paralysis in the feet and overtime works its way up. it eventually dies of starvation and dehydration.

It could be botulism caused by rotten or moldy food. It starts as paralysis in the feet and overtime works its way up. it eventually dies of starvation and dehydration.
I just got their food a couple weeks ago and it is stored in the house and their feeder doesn't stay out over night. So no idea where she would have gotten rotten or moldy food.

Botulism is usually from eating dead animal remains that have been underground or under water. Mold in feed causes aflatoxin poisoning. But those diseases happen quickly, and death happens shortly after symptoms. This seems more like possible Mareks unfortunately. But I would use some human vitamin B complex which has riboflavin 1/4 tablet daily that can be crushed into some food or a spoonful of water.

The sling set-up looks nice, and it is good that she is with the others. Watch out for any bullying that could start. Most state vets can test for Mareks disease if you should lose her. A national lab RAL can test blood that is collected at home from a trimmed toenail for around $38 total cost if you ever want to test yourself. This is a link for the RAL lab:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

Botulism is usually from eating dead animal remains that have been underground or under water. Mold in feed causes aflatoxin poisoning. But those diseases happen quickly, and death happens shortly after symptoms. This seems more like possible Mareks unfortunately. But I would use some human vitamin B complex which has riboflavin 1/4 tablet daily that can be crushed into some food or a spoonful of water.

The sling set-up looks nice, and it is good that she is with the others. Watch out for any bullying that could start. Most state vets can test for Mareks disease if you should lose her. A national lab RAL can test blood that is collected at home from a trimmed toenail for around $38 total cost if you ever want to test yourself. This is a link for the RAL lab:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf
do they test before death with the toenail?

She loves being out with the others. she wouldn't eat or drink when I had her in. I keep a close eye and so far no bullying many times I go out and they are sitting on her feeding try with her eating and drinking with her or just hanging out. it is really cute!

I have been doing the Vit B mixed with eggs, but thought I read 2x a day for the Vit B? Most times I can't get her to take it all anyways. and I just started Vit E and selenium hoping maybe that would help......... really hoping it isn't Mareks where she was vaccinated but know that isn't 100%.

Back
Top Bottom