Chicken smart enough to sleep in warmest spot?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Uzuri, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I'm having some difficulty with my Rooster and frostbite, and he just can't stay in the garage all winter, it's not fair to my housemate who has to listen to him scream his head off all the time.

So I was wondering if I got him a small covered catbox or one of those carpeted little cat-... I want to say cathouses, but that's not right [​IMG] ... cat bed thingies, with a roof and stuff, would he be smart enough to sleep in it? The hens are fine, and look like they're going to stay fine--their combs just aren't big enough to be a problem--but he need something to keep the heat closer to his head. Anyone know if they're sharp enough to figure out that a small tight space would be warmer than just sleeping under the roost like he does now?

Edit: and I already know about ventilation and stuff. Our problem is that out OUTSIDE humidity is hanging out at around 80%, with the temperature in the teens. Ventilation isn't going to solve that problem.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    We have the opposite problem. On cold windy days, our roo is snuggled in a nest box while the hens are all outside getting frostbite. Try rubbing his comb with vaseline, or, if he's by himself, Crisco. The Mongols used to rub butter on their faces in frigid weather. A small insulated area will help keep him warm. Could you possibly put a hen in with him for companionship? Might want to look up Patsandchickens (I think I spelled her name right) She's the expert about cold weather here on the forum

3. cicene mete

cicene mete Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    I'm confused, where do the hens sleep? Is their coop? Could use a heat lamp? Is there reason to keep the rooster separate?

4. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    He's not separate, but he was for a couple of days due to holiday traveling (had them all inside for the sitter; don't have a cage big enough to put them all in), and was in the garage at that time. He's been kicked out because he clearly wore out his welcome, making noise the whole time I was gone and keeping my roomie up nights.

The hens are fine because they don't have a huge comb like he does. They're all out in the same weather all the time and only he has problems. They can't have a wired light because where they are is too far from the house (their laying lamp is solar and doesn't put off any heat hardly). I don't like heat lamps anyway; I'd rather have a frostbit chicken than 7 crispy-fried ones. I also don't believe that oiling combs helps; from what I've read it only improves things by about a degree.

For tonight, I put in a cardboard box, jammed in behind the roost with two flaps tucked in so it has an opening to go in. We'll see if he sleeps in it, I guess, and if he does, that'll give me an idea of whether or not some sort of permanent box would help him. If he doesn't, at least the box is taking up space so the area he would have to keep warm by sleeping *next* to it is smaller.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by