Chicken "sneezing" just got worse

Paradise Lane

Hatching
May 24, 2024
I have 1 yr old hen that has had couple periods of sneezing regularly. Couple months ago was 1st time. Kinda squawks and tilts her head. No discharge from eyes, nostils. Otherwise eating, drinking, acting normal. No other birds in flock exhibit any symptoms. It stopped for couple weeks but now started up again and seems worse. I tried feeling her throat and she seemed very uncomfortable. Then let out a loud, long squawk while throwing head to the side. Went right back to foraging around but still sneezing (if that is what it is, I'm totally guessing) I got 2 good videos but I guess wrong kind of files and they won't upload 😒

Welcome To BYC

For video, upload to YouTube, then provide us a link.

Is your hen's crop emptying overnight?
What's the inside of her beak look like - any lesions or canker?

Do you notice the noise/sneezing when she's been eating/drinking and/or dust bathing - or is it just random?

Welcome To BYC

Do you notice the noise/sneezing when she's been eating/drinking and/or dust bathing - or is it just random?
I'll check her crop in the morning, as well as look inside her beak-never done that before I hope she cooperates 😬 It is random I think.
Hopefully these links will work.

Looks like she's trying to crow in the first video and it may not be related to the sneezing.

I also have one sneezing hen and am curious what you find.

I'll check her crop in the morning, as well as look inside her beak-never done that before I hope she cooperates 😬 It is random I think.
Hopefully these links will work.

Welcome To BYC

Crop was empty this morning. Not sure what inside of her beak is supposed to look like so I got video that I think shows it pretty well. She did not want me messing with her! Her breathing seems worse 😩

First video, sounds like Stridor where there's mucous or something in the airway.
Big difference from first to 3-4 video. She's now in some respiratory distress.
Did you have to chase her around or anything like that? Did you massage the neck or crop?

Re-check the inside of the beak. It should be somewhat a healthy pink color, with no signs of mucous, saliva, bad odors, yellow or white pasty material.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand?
Have you dewormed or do you have a dewormer like Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) on hand?

If she's still in distress and is not getting any better, then I'd start her on an antibiotic like Tylosin and deworm her.

1716661116961.png

Photo reference
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

First video, sounds like Stridor where there's mucous or something in the airway.
Big difference from first to 3-4 video. She's now in some respiratory distress.
Did you have to chase her around or anything like that? Did you massage the neck or crop?

Re-check the inside of the beak. It should be somewhat a healthy pink color, with no signs of mucous, saliva, bad odors, yellow or white pasty material.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand?
Have you dewormed or do you have a dewormer like Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) on hand?

If she's still in distress and is not getting any better, then I'd start her on an antibiotic like Tylosin and deworm her.

View attachment 3843594
Photo reference
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Thank you. Yea, inside of her beak kinda darker color, not healthy pink. Her breathing seems worse from yesterday. I will try & get some antibiotics for sure.

Seemed like there was a bsf larva still in her throat from snacks given this morning. We have her isolated in a large brooder and will watch closely. And I'll be able to see what her poops look like. I can't get the tylosin this holiday weekend but found somewhere that has the wormer.

Attachments

• 20240525_163940.jpg
    20240525_163940.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240525_163944.jpg
    20240525_163944.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240525_163950.jpg
    20240525_163950.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom