Chicken sounds funny... like something stuck in throat. Please help!

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Hello,

Wondering if anyone can help me I.D. what is going on with my chicken and get her better, if needs be. She sounds funny like she has a sore throat or as if something is stuck in it. (BTW she is not broody. I do have one that is broody and she does sound different, but this one is not.) I felt the crop- at first I thought I felt something long in there, but turns out it wasn't her crop but some other part of the chicken since my other chickens all have the same oblong part (I assume this is a voice box or something to that effect.) She just started to sound funny. Thing is, I had some construction done on the shed here and I am worried she ingested something sharp or bad for her. She was fine this morning. She just sounds like a different chicken, or like she has a sore throat, or something pushing on her voice box.. or whatever makes a chicken sound sound how it is. She is eating and drinking. She seems normal otherwise. One other note, it is a very hot day. Wondering.... can a chicken's voice get cracky from it being dry. Could it just be that all that panting from the heat just dried out her throat? Anyone else have this sort of thing happen to their chickens before, and if so, what was it? (I got my chickens last May of 2010.)

Here is the stats, like asked:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
She is a Barred Rock, just turned one year of age, and is about .. oh dear, don't know how much she would weigh.. She is a tiny bird though, due to some illness before last winter.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Her chicken voice sounds funny. Like a rusty zipper, not squak-y as usual

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Just for the last hour, that I know of. If she was like this this morning, I did not hear it. I think she was fine.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I had a workman come and do work on the shed, which is the other side of the coop. He was putting in some windows for me. So, my guess was she swallowed something she shouldn't have... but I could be absoutely wrong. I do know that she was hanging out with or near him. (She is very friendly) So its possible she got to something she should not have. Maybe caulk? Or a nail? or a screw? Or a piece of scrap wood?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Other than normal Purina and Kent chicken food mix, dried oats, worms, bugs, grass and anything else that can be found when given free range. I also fed her some banana after finding her sounding funny and also some water. She is eating and seems interested in eating. Her crop is not full at all, though.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I didn't check. She had some problems late last fall with green poo... see my other posts on this board to maybe help with that. She got better after some antibiotics that the vet gave and some TLC. But I still think she has some problems with some runny poo. More liquidy than anything.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing, just felt around her throat, and gave her some banana and water to see if she would eat.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
There is only one vet in the area right now that would see her. I called... they want anywhere from $70 to $125 to see her up front. I can't really afford that at this time. I was going to take her in to my old vet which is $40- but she is on vacation until the end of June. If she starts to exhibit more problems, I may take her in, but if I could treat this myself, that would be great. (I'm hoping I'm just overreacting, but she really sounds different.) I don't really know what you mean by help in stablizing the bird... She seems fine and stable.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I've been thinking about taking a video of the sound she is making but without a video of her with her normal voice, I don't think anyone would think she sounds that funny. She makes the same types of calls a chicken makes but it sounds less squak-y, like her voice box has a clamp on it.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Right now I am using wheat straw bedding with some pine wood shavings lightly scattered around.

Just wondering if anyone has anything similar to this? If so, what was it, and did your chicken get better on its own?

IN the meantime, I am going to bring her in from the heat and give her some water, keep her cool. Hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
if she is eating and drinking she couldn't have anything very big caught in there or they wouldn't go down I don't think. I would diff. bring her in for today anyway and keep an eye on her. see what her poop looks like, make sure she is hydrated and eating. try mashing up banana and some yogurt or something else she likes real well with some olive oil. and try to get her to eat. maybe oiling her throat up if there is something there it will help to move it on down. Having her in will also help you see if something else could be going on, I'd try to look into her mouth and throat with a flash light just to make sure she isn't broke out or inflamed, you might get someone to hold her while you do this. Hopefully it's just the heat and she needs some rest and cooling off. please post back as to how she is doing.

Hey, thanks so much Miss Lydia for responding... I really appreciate it!

I just found her and brought her in. She pooped for me... it is more liquid-y and sort of foul smelling.. like garbage, but not like poo. A funky -off kind of smell. Its watery with small dark brown poo parts in it that were not runny but rather consistent... like a consistency of baby food that is mashed more on the firm side. To put it this way... The poo did not break apart when I poured water over it... just to give you an idea of consistency. The liquid was clear, like water.

I'm going to take your suggestion and leave her in for the night for observation, give her some oil and cool foods to eat. It has been rather hot here all of a sudden. I know my chickens are hot because they are not eating as much, nor wandering around, opting for the super cool and shady places.

Back
Top Bottom